Thyroid Disorders Community
link between hypothroidism & high blood pressure
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

link between hypothroidism & high blood pressure

I am female, 45yrs, and very healthy apart from I have been treated for my hypothroidism with 125mg levothyroixine for six years, and have since developed very high blood pressure.I wondered could there be a link ? does anyone have any information for me ???  My  GP & consultants have no explanation for the high blood pressure.

Love to hear from you !
Related Discussions
149 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1052292_tn?1274460692
I had high blood pressure for many years before being diagnosed with Hypothyroidism.  However, the periods when I have been overmedicated with Levothyroxine my blood pressure has gone out of control.  Last January my blood pressure started spiking and my heart was racing and my Endo lowered my dosage of Levo.  Then about a month ago it happened again and it has been lowered again.  Is it possible that your dosage of thyroid medication is too strong?  You might mention this to your doctor.  Others have posted similar situations on this forum so I know it hasn't just happened to me.

Good luck.
Blank
Mousepie, I had a blood pressure spike (along with other symptoms and Hashimotos), turned out I had nodules that were cancerous...I would have an ultrasound if you haven't in a while.
Blank
Thank you for replying !! I am seeing GP on Friday and shall discuss with your helpful comments in mind. Hope you have levelled out ?
Blank
Thank you MANmom, I will have a chat with my GP.  Hope you are OK now ?
Blank
Yep, I am back to feeling normal...thyroid is gone, RAI done, blood pressure is better now that the thyroid is out.  I still need to loose a bit of weight and that should help my BP, but I have cut my meds in half and hope to eventually eliminate them.  Good luck!
Blank
My BP has gone up whenever I am hypo....
Hope that helps :)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank