Thyroid Disorders Community
really cold then really hot & sweaty

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

really cold then really hot & sweaty

Hi I have been hypo for 2 years. I'm on 100 mg levothyroxine.. I'm feeling much better. BUT When I am at rest I get really cold & then when I start to move it seems as if my heart is racing & I get really hot (in fact All of my skin flushes a dull red!) I've mentioned this (several times) to my GP & he says it to do with my hormones!!!! I am now 61 years old & finished the menopause 11 years ago! Does anyone have these symptoms & could it be one of the side affects of levothyroxine?
Brilliant GP you have there!!!!!  Was he specific as to which hormones (estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, adrenal, T3, T4, etc., etc.) or does he think they're all created equal?

I have the same problem on levo.  I used to be constantly cold.  Didn't feel the need for shorts until the temp went over 90.  Since increasing my levo a lot in the last year, I'm seldom cold.  But, I now get these waves of heat intolerance and break out into a sweat.  I used to sweat so little that I've never felt the need to use deodorant (okay, so maybe those around me thought I should have ;-)).  My face gets very red when I get one of these waves, but haven't noticed it on the rest of my body (winter here - pretty covered up).  Hope this helps.
Hi Thanks for your feedback. I have been trying (very hard!) to lose weight...And of late I
seem to have lost 8 lbs. This is through a serious cutback on food intake & loads of exercise! I have also noticed a drop in the number of times that I am having these cold/hot spells. Don't no whether this is connected but I keep trying ....onward to the next 8lb weight loss!
My GP wasn't specific about which hormone it was...but did tell me to lose some weight because I am pre diabetic...
I also have a lot of facial hair which has also become less.... (tweezers are always in use)
watch this space!
I have not been treated yet and i too get sweaty wake up 4 or 5 times at night with my neck wet arms wet face and hair. losing my hair also is i do the least little bit i break out in a sweat but also if i am just sitting i am cold and can't get warm i do have a nodule on thyroid but they have not checked it at all in years I feel tired and depressed my feet and ankles and legs hurt. my hip hurts I have carpal tunnel, I have sleep apnea, High cholesteral what is wrong with me feel like I am going crazy  Just want to be able to sleep plus I have gain a lot of weight.
All the symptoms you list could be thyroid symptoms, and since you've had a nodule in the past, that's probably a good place to start testing.  

Ask your doctor to test FREE T3 and FREE T4, not just TSH.  Depending on the results of those, you might want to have some antibody testing to see if you have autoimmune thyroid disease.  
I had a hysterectomy at 29 now at 61 I am having hot spells where all at once I am sweating profusely but hands and feet still like ice. I also take thyroid what's with this
Please post your thyroid test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report so that members can better assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.  Also, please tell us about any other symptoms you have.
Hi, I know it has been quite some time since you posted your comment.  I have several autoimmune diseases, Hashimotos being one of them. Late last year I rejected Synthroid and was put on Westhroid. For the last several months, I have been experiencing the hot/sweat and cold problem, sometimes at the same time. I researched my known conditions and decided to supplement with Glutathione. It completely stopped those rotten hot/cold "flashes" I had. Research Glutathione and talk to your doctor. For me, it has been a huge help.