Thyroid Disorders Community
scared and afraid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

scared and afraid

I took my daughter to the er for strepthroat and when the doctor was nearly done with her I told him my throat had been a little sore he looked and said its a little red but I had no other symptoms but was going to treat me as if I had it as well we both rec predisnol and 2 antibiotics and a presc for the z pac. We both left d hosp got mmeds and took the 2. The next morning I took 1 zithro along with my blood pressure meds chlorthalidone shortly thereafter my heart rate was 113 but no other problems I called my dr he told me try and relax later that night heart rate went to normal visited my new dr did blood wk everything normal except thyroid overactive wondering if the meds the steroid,zpack,and blood press meds could have caused this reaction
Anything is possible with drugs today, If you go to Drugs.com they have an interaction search, and what is nice, you can register, and each time you are put on a new drug, it saves your prescriptions and gives you notice if any interactions exist, from moderate to severe. I don't think Md's take the time to look at your file to see what other meds you are on today, you need to look out for yourself. Good Luck FTB4
I don't understand why you each got 2 antibiotics + Z pac, since Z pac alone will knock out most infections; nor do I understand prednisone for strep throat.....pred is a steroid..  Something doesn't sound right.
Barb is right -something doesn't add up. Run-of-the-mill strep throat usually gets a single whopping antibiotic (e.g. Z-pac/ azithromycin) but not double antibiotics and steroids to boot. Have they perhaps mentioned a concern for MRSA (penicillin resistant staph infection)? That would make more sense... As far as they reaction goes, I think it is more likely you have a mild thyroiditis -sort of like your thyroid getting the flu. This would cause the rate increase. The BP med is unlikely to be the culprit, but the prednisone certainly could. Also, were you running a temperature when your heart rate was up? If so, that would be a normal rate with a fever. ~MM  
No fever. Dr said that the steroid would jumpstart immune system r something as of today I feel fine heart rate has been about 77 I just thought maybe all those meds could cause my thyroid to react in that manner