thyroid growth
I am scheduled for a right lobe thyroidectomy this Thurs 7-17. I have a 6.54cm growth on that side. I also have a 5cm growth on the left side, but my surgeon has opted not to remove the left side. Do you have any suggestions on how I can get him to remove the left side as well? He wants to wait for the pathology to come back on the right side before removing the left, but I am willing to have both done so I don't have to be cut open twice.
What diagnostic test have you had on both sides prior to surgery?
That sounds resonable. Especially since you have already had such a large growth on the other side. More than likely, this one will grow too. I can see your point. I wonder what his point is? did he say.

We have actually been monitoring my thyroid growths for about a year now. When they were first discovered, the largest was 2cm and was considered a cyst. I had several on my left side, and the biggest on my right. I had FNB done about 8 months ago on all of them that came back negative. Now the biggest has grown to 6+ cm and is a solid mass. Also the biggest one on my left side is 5+cm, also solid. I had normal levels of TSH when checked.
i just had simialr surgery on 6/26 to have my left lobe removed but my dr had to remove the right lobe also. when the dr opened me up he said the right side was bad (hard). i too had a growth on the left lobe, but the biopsy was inconclusive but because of the size the dr said it had to come out. i did ask him why he just didn't take the right lobe when removing the left and he said because of the complications with removing both (vocal cords & breathing) were involved so listen to your dr. my thyroid weighted 1/4 pd. a normal thyroid is 30 cm and mine was 170. he didn't know how i could swallow. the biospy came back last week and it was "beign".  i'm doing good now and back on my meds and going back to work next week. you will be in my thoughts and prayers. let me know how you make out.
Best wishes for you tomorrow.