Thyroid Disorders Community
thyroid hormone after full thyroid removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

how long can you survive without thyroid hormone after a full thyroid removal. and when would you start to see symptoms of not receiving the hormone, how long until you notice the effects of not taking the thyroid hormone after you stop taking the daily dosage
I went 7 full weeks, felt aweful. I felt OK for about 2 1/2 weeks, then at about 1 month it got bad. Those last two weeks were hell.  My TSH was up to 186 the week before I had RAI, then the day after RAI I could take my levothyroxin (levothyroxine), in about 20 minutes I felt a total body rush twice, my whole body shook, then I started feeling better.  It took another 4 months to get the medication right, now 1 1/2 years later, I feel normal.
PS, how long you can survive depends on how low you were before thyroid removal.  I had already had 1/2 of my thyroid removed, so I was low to start, yet I survived 7 full weeks...if you start out with normal thyroid function when they remove it, you will be better off.
I think that is very dangerous to stop taking your daily dosage of thyroid hormons because they are very important for function of most vital organs in human body
im asking this because ive had a full thyroid removal lost my health insurance because i dont make enough money and its been almost 6 months and i feel fine im not over tired at all . i know i had a full removal i have the surgery report with me and my mom is a nurse and she explained it to me that we couldnt survive more than 1-2 months so im to the point were im going to need to find out if i was lied to on my surgery. i had my thyroid removed back in 2007
When is the last time you had any blood work done? I would be scared to death to risk it. I didnt think you could live without it. I know that Last December i ended up in the ER with psychosis and was so sick I thought I was dying. I wasnt absorbing my levothyroxine for some reason. I also had a TT in 2006. Best of luck. Sorry you lost your insurance.
i had blood work done probly back in june of 2010..i was scheduled to get another work up but without insurance its to expensive, and believe me im freaking out about not having my synthroid but it bothers me more that ive gone so long without it and i feel normal. im trying to get more hours and better pay so i can get a bloodtest and possibly some other to tests to find out whats going on
I seriously doubt you have had a total thyroidectomy. You probably have some remaining tissue. Some Total thyroidectomies actually leave the isthmus (the middle bit).
Or it may have been a Near total thyroidectomy. You would not have lasted past 3 months without being in a coma and now dead, if you had a true total thyroidectomy.

If you are feeling fine and have no insurance then I wonder what the problem is? Are you thinking you might drop dead from no Synthroid? Hate to tell you, that would have already happened!
  If you feel fine, then don't worry! Unless you start having symptoms, which you will have no choice but to see a doctor, then you are fine.
  You can ask for your surgeon to give you a report on what was done, I think you will find it was a near total with some partial remaining thyroid which is now functioning all by itself. It happens.
i know for a fact it was a total thyroidectomy, one because i had no choice in it and two i have the report right next to me. thats why im wondering if i got screwed on the behalf of the surgeon by not doing what was said in the report. My mother was with me durring the whole proccess and she was the one that thought something was wrong and made me see the dr. about my thyroid in the first place. you may think im lying but im not and i havnt talked to my mom because i know she would have a freak out and thats the last thing i want to have happen right now. in the report the only thing that they left were my parathyroids  which is very good cuz id hate to have to watch my calcium lvls while being lactose intolerant
I had a thyroidectomy and lost my ins when I came to tx.i have had 4 blood transfusions.its now been 4-5 months and my stomach is swollen, I stay very sick and I cannot stay awake anymore.havent got a dime e.im miserable and being a single I cannot afford a doctor. I know im not well.im so exhausted and sickly feeling..im in garland tx now and need to see a doc so bad.im grouchy,sick,sleepy and dizzy