vocal chords
Posted a question before but must have gone into the space posts.

Diagnosed with Hashimoto`s 1 year ago, last month had a thyoidectomy, many polyps removed and biopsy negative.

Vocal chords severly inflamed and closed, 2 surgeons state maybe paralised chords.  Worried and scared.

Have problems breathing and at night difficulty sleeping.     Anybody been here and how long till chords  and voice get better??????
I haven't had that problem, but others here have.

If you don't get a response by tommorrow, I will IM someone you can talk to. She is preocupied right now and I don't want to bother her.
I had the same kind of difficulties that you're talking about after my TT in August this past year.  Yes, I was told before surgery that there was a chance that my vocal cords would be affected but I never knew that it would affect my swallowing and breathing!  It took approximately 6 to 8 weeks for my vocal cords to start moving again, and even then one of them was "lazy".

I was told that it was "nerve trauma", and that nerves take a long time to heal.  The ENT doc told me that whatever I was left with a year after surgery would be the way it was going to be.  He also said that if they didn't repair themselves, there are things they can do to permanently move the cord over.

I'm not going to lie, that was a horrible time when that was going on.  I'd lose my voice frequently, couldn't breath very well and couldn't swallow anything liquid without choking (hence the drinking bird I have for my picture!).  It's much better now, but I've noticed that when I sing, I can't hit high notes without my voice giving out.  Which is probably a good thing!! ;-)

Have they sent you to an ENT doctor?  If not, that's probably a good place to start.  Unfortunately, it just takes time for it to heal.  Good luck to you, and keep us posted as to how you're doing!

Lori
I also lost my voice after TT.  The Dr. said my vocal cords were not touched during surgery, but when he tested them before closing, one was paralyzed.  It bothered him more than me.  On my followup visit 2 weeks later he talked about a procedure he could do if they stayed that way, but it was unnecessary as my voice returned after 6 weeks.  
I had a left thyroid lobectomy five days ago. I am awaiting biopsy results for possible metastatic renal cell cancer. I can't talk above a whisper and am having trouble swallowing liquids. I feel short of breath at times, especially after I "choke" trying to drink or take a pill.  My doctor also said that my nerves looked fine during surgery. Thanks for the suggestion for seeing an EENT doc. I will pursue that.
Hi, I also had TT, 5/26/09 and my right vocal cord was paralyzed for just over 6 weeks. It was awful and I didn't feel like it would get better, but then one day woke up and it was much better....then by the end of that week I'd say it was 95% normal. It's been over 10 weeks now and it's perfectly fine. Hopefully yours will get better soon!

Sandra
Thanks for the encouragement. I got the biopsy results yesterday, and it was positive for renal cell cancer metastasis. The doctor wants to wait two weeks to see if my voice/swallowing problem gets better as the swelling goes down before sending me to an EENT doctor. I wonder if anyone else has renal cell cancer in their thyroid? It is rare.