7 y/o with recurrent fever, sore throat, headache, sore chest
My 7 y/o daughter continues to be chronically tired, sore throat, sore chest and headache.  She has recurrent fevers about every 6 weeks and had her tonsils taken out in August (not her adnoids). All of her blood work has come back normal, chest x-ray clear.  She has been w/o a fever for the past 5 days, but is so tired and has a sore throat/headache that she is unable to go to school.  We are seeing an infectious disease doctor next week, but any thoughts would be so helpful.  
Thanks for writing to the forum!

Chronic sore throats can be allergic, viral or bacterial in origin. A prolonged illness in a seven year old can result in poor diet, anemia and fatigue and weakness. Many viral conditions like EBV (glandular fever) behave in this way with recurrent respiratory infections. With history of blood tests and hospital admissions infections peculiar to hospitals are common and are called nosocomial infections. Fungal infections in the body too can present similarly and need to be identified by scratch tests for fungus. A variety of drugs can cause drug fevers. Many cancers too cause recurrent respiratory infections.

Auto-immune disorders like juvenile rheumatoid arthritis present with fever, rashes, joint and body pains, pharyngitis and lymphadenopathy. Another disorder that should be considered is Polyarteritis nodosa (PAN).

Many parasitic infestations and worms increase the eosinophil counts in the blood and thus cause an increased risk of upper respiratory infections.

Ofcourse, a number of times no diagnosis can be reached and the fever subsides after some time.

Hope this helps. I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.