Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Constant burping and chest pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Constant burping and chest pain

I'm a 19 year old male and for the past week or so i've been getting constant burping. The burps are not audible (I can supress them) which means it is not embarassing, but I feel the constant need to burp and let up air from my stomach. When I say constant, I mean 100% of the time - after I have let one bit of air up I need to do it again and again. I have not changed my diet at all to trigger it (or not that I can think of), and I am now getting chest pain which feels like somebody is pushing down on my chest, just above my stomach where my ribcage meets in the middle. It is causing me a lot of discomfort, any ideas on how to deal with it would be of great help.

Thank you in advance for your help.
1 Comment
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Pain and discomfort in your chest could be acidity or heart burn. This could be causing the burps. Over the counter antacids will give relief. The other reason could be due to esophageal reflux (GERD), where the food in your stomach is thrown up into your food pipe or esophagus. This also causes burning sensation or discomfort in the chest area. Another possibility is hiatal hernia, where a portion of stomach herniates into the chest cavity through the diaphragm. This causes acidity like symptoms and burps too. Cough or heart problems too cause discomfort in chest area. I would strongly recommend you see a physician about this.

Excessive drinking, smoking, caffeine, fried food should be avoided.

Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!