Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Dizziness when eating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viewing 201-211 comments:
Abhi...

I have read this whole blog and ur answer wa the main one that made me feel comfortable. I have had dizzy spells when eating for a few years and there is no rhyme or reason to it. I even get dizzy as i put the food to my lips, before i even bit, vry often with carbonated drinks, (i think its the bubbles), so my brain knows its coming. I found ur post very interesting and it seems to make the most sense for my case anyway.

Culd you please tell me how u know this or where u got this info from? I would very much like to research it more..

Thank you so much

sarah
Hi there.. I totally agree with this concept. Funny enough, all the posts that say that they hv dizzyness immediately and often before the food even goes in the mouth also seem to be those who 'are on the go' and 'eat when really hungry'. I really do feel that for alot of us the dizzyness is related to low blood sugar levels and that the brain recognises and 'eagerly anticipates' the digestion of sugars so creates a head rush in the anticipation. All foods contain a certain amount of sugar so i dont really think it matters what food it is... I think possibly those of us who are also more prone to head rushes when standing quickly, dizzyness after a run etc are more likely to get this symptom too when eating.. ??? Maybe we are more sensitive than the masses? Who knows? But I am so happy I found this blog as I have suffered with this for years and now feel much more comfortable with it..
Thank u all..x
Hello. I'm a 26 yr old female, with no significant health concern. I have been experiencing the same issue for the past 4 yrs or could be longer, as I didn't pay much attention in the begining. What I noticed though was that the dizziness comes when I take the first couple of bites when I am considerably really hungry. Now, I know most of us if not all eat food when we are hungry, but it is known to be better for our body to eat food regularly before we feel the "starvation". I don't feel the dizziness every time, but I would say about once in two days. Please let me know if you get the dizziness when you eat when you are really hungry.
Has anyone of you experiencing this symptom been cured? I also feel the same symptoms. Each time I munch on my food I suddenly feel dizzy. It's been happening to me for almost a year now. Previously the bouts would only last for a few seconds, but for the past few days I'm having a hard time shaking it off. Nowadays it would last for a good ten seconds. The rounds of dizziness is also getting worse.
I had an ear infection when I was 5, I'm 30 now
Dizzyness while eating could be explained by Roemheld Syndrome.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roemheld_syndrome

If it happens along with a number of other symptoms, it could be Lyme Disease.  Lyme is known to affect the 10th cranial (Vagus) nerve, which controls the heart, breathing, and digestion.

Lyme is associated with many other conditions because of the extensive damage it can cause in the body. Both gallbladder problems and Hashimoto's have been linked to Lyme Disease.  All the symptoms of Fibromyalgia are also on the symptom list of late stage Lyme. Lyme can cause pain in various places, not just the joints and muscles, and can also cause significant anxiety, especially when coinfected with Bartonella, another tick borne disease.

There's more info in this document and more info on ilads.org
http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Don't believe a doctor who says, "Lyme isn't here."  It's in every state in the country!  It's more or less common in certain places, but it doesn't mean it's impossible to get.

I cant eat certain foods and when i do my head gets light headed and my eye sight is a major blurr. Its like im drunk i hate it i cant find anything to eat  the only thing i feel i can eat is pb&j on gluten free bread. I wish i had answers but dont. Can someone help?
i get this when i eat, especially when i am quite hungry, the reason i go dizzy is because as my taste buds sense that i am getting food the blood is forced in the stomach and gut in order to aid digestion and as a result i go dizzy due to a brief moment of reduced blood flow to my brain.

its normal, anyone who gets this with no other symptoms is experiencing the body's natural reaction to eating when hungry. if you ate regularly you would not experience this dizziness  
I am a 24 year old female who has been experiencing dizziness while eating for a while (never thought of it to be a re-occurring thing, so I haven't been keeping track)... but I've been noticing it a lot more and have finally decided to google it.  I tend to get dizzy while eating out at a restaurant.  I'll be fine in the beginning, but somewhere along the way I get so "dizzy" more so light-headed that I feel as though I have been drinking although throughout that entire meal, I didn't consume any alcohol.  I almost want to say that the feeling is sometimes more euphoric than dizzy... either way, its weird and makes me feel a little loopy.  I have experienced earaches as a child, I have gotten cavities filled (not sure if they contained any mercury) and I feel like I clench/grind my teeth, but haven't heard about concerns from my dentist in the past.  From maybe 6th grade to High School/College, I would almost always chew gum.  Nowadays I've broken that habit, but do bite down when nothing is in my mouth.  I have also become accustomed to the feeling of light-headedness when standing/getting up too quickly.  I have fainted before (hasn't happened during meals, more so in getting out of bed too fast).  I have had instances where I don't think I was getting enough air to the point where i was in the shower and due to the steam, it became harder for me to intake air, & thus passing out.  I was pregnant once, but had an abortion (please do not judge me, I just want to get everything that might be a similarity to others out).  During the time I was pregnant I would become nauseous fairly easily to certain smells, looking at a computer screen for too long, I would become tired faster than normal, I was very emotional, etc etc ... I think I had the usual signs.  Anyways, I'm just curious if there was any new information out there?  I have yet to inform my doctor about my experiences.  I went in for an appointment last week and had my blood pressure/heart rate taken and the nurse said it was normal or fine...  and judging by what others are saying on here, doesn't seem like the doctors would know anything unless it was something serious.  BTW, I don't exercise often (jogging, running, weightlifting), but I try walk around the neighborhood once in a while and will sometimes jog... my job is physically demanding where I have to be able to lift up to 50 lbs. and be on my feet.  Growing up I was active in sports (basketball, track & field, tennis, beginning lessons in figure skating, snowboarded).  One of my grandparents died from diabetes, another from Parkinsons (not sure if that ties in any way).  Hopefully this feeling doesn't become worse... I've heard of Vertigo and had a professor in college who had it.  It doesn't sound fun at all.  :[
I would also like to add that I had an absyss (sp) infection a week after my wisdom teeth were extracted.  (about 5 years ago?) This caused me not to eat much for almost two weeks, speak (i would communicate w/ a pen and paper b/c it was painful to talk)... it got to the point where I was in pain (head would throb, hurt to swallow).  The infection was affecting half of my head and was travelling down my throat - the doctor said if we hadn't come when we did, I could have died from not getting air properly b/c it was affecting my breathing tubes (sorry, not sure what the correct term is).  Recently, I was in a car accident where I had a CAT scan & various other tests done.  I woke up with a neck brace and was on bed-rest for an entire day.  I'm recovering, but I wonder if stress, traumatic experiences, depression, anxiety, etc. has anything to add to it?
I wish I had come across this page sooner.  I have been getting dizzy on the first one or two bites of food since about 2008.  My primary says she's never heard of such thing.  It does not happen all of the time, only when I have not been eating for a while and then begin eating.  I was wondering if it was related to blood sugar levels (not diabetic, but do test positive for prediabetes some of the time), but the dizziness begins so quickly after the first bite of food, I have to wonder if the food has had time to even begin digestion yet.  In any case,  I am releaved to see I am not alone.
I have been struggling with the same problem for years now. When I tell people about they think I'm crazy. I've even mentioned it to my doctor and she told me it was simply vertigo and I would just have to learn to live with it. However it did completely go away while I was pregnant but came back more intense once my pregnancy was over and I stopped breast feeding. I'm now thinking maybe it's a vascular or even a hormonal thing??
hey guys I found this article on what the problem could be. I too have the same problem. it usually happens at night when I eat large meals for dinner. I think this might answer some questions.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/eating-can-cause-low-blood-pressure
Okay, so I am giggling in my head a little.  This has been happening to me for 18 years that I can remember, because I remember this scaring the crap out of me sitting in the lunch cafeteria at school. I've been out of school for 18 years now.  It just happened again & I just happened to be sitting in front of computer and decided to google it.  I have chalked it up all of these years to the fact that it seems like I quit breathing to take a bite, therefore I get dizzy.  It seems to only happen when I actually am eating a meal.  I eat crackers at times for breakfast and do not get the feeling.  Maybe it is something about the anticipation of that first bite!  Today I was not overly hungry? Not sure, but it hasn't killed me yet! :)
I found out just today that my dizzy spells (no vertigo) seem to be caused by traces of air freshener in the room.  Today, I had a reaction 20 min. after using Febrese.  I have had 15 sec. near blackout spells also from baking bread - when I start the yeast or even open the package of yeast, or knead the dough.  What food producers don't tell us about are the massive amounts of chemicals they now use to create these foods with long shelf lives, or for that matter, the herbicides and pesticides applied to the plants.  For instance, imidicloprid, a powerful pesticide is sprayed on all the U.S. grown corn before planting.  Harvard Univ. has conclusive evidence that imidicloprid is causing bee colony collapse disorder, killing off all the bees. That means that all animals we eat that eat corn may be affected as well. Our bodies are all struggling to adapt to these changes, but they are happening too rapidly for our immune systems to accommodate, in my opinion.  I had 5 difficult spells today, am age 70 and have had these problems for years.  I am the original canary in the mine.
I am a 53 year old woman about 20 pounds overweight and I have noticed this phenomenon for about a year now. It only happens at the beginning of taking the first bite or two of food. A crazy dizziness. I am very busy and sometimes when very hungry will go through a drivethru to grab a quick bite. If I am driving when this occurs (which usually happens when I am really hungry) I am overly cautious. Though I have not passed out from it yet I have felt really close to it at times. It does not do it all the time. I am on no medications what so ever and in good health. I wonder what causes it but I am not extremely worried about it. I had extreme/chronic LOW blood sugar levels in my early to late 20's. My blood sugar levels never went over 70 and usually hovered around the low 60's. I felt brain dead most of the time. Thank goodness that ended in my 30's but my blood sugar seems to be normal now. Around 90 upon waking before eating or drinking anything. I do have unusual thirst at night. I was told that is a sign of diabetes but I don't have diabetes. Does anyone have excessive thirst?
I'm a 39 year old female and I've had this same problem for over 10 years now.

I get VERY dizzy when I eat about 70%+ of the time.  It only happens as I put the first bite of food in my mouth.  As soon as I start to chew, the dizziness sets in and I feel like I'm the verge of fainting for about 5-7 seconds and then it is gone and does not recur for the duration of THAT meal, but may happen again at the start of the NEXT meal.  It does not seem to matter what I am eating, what time of day it is, or how I feel (whether I'm tired, stressed, or not)

It does seem to happen the instant the sensation of taste triggers salivation.   (If that makes sense.)

It's a very surreal and weird feeling.  I've never heard anyone I've ever known say that it happens to them, so I assumed it was only me until I found this blog.  I am amazed at the number of people who experience this strange phenomenon.  I was actually sitting here at my computer and it happened as I began to eat, so I decided to google "dizziness when eating first bite of food" and found this site.
I've never mentioned it to a doctor because 1) tests are expensive and I'm sure they would be confused and want to run several of them.  And 2)  It's really a minor nuisance since it's over so quickly.
Add my name to the ever growing list! Experiencing my second bout of this, last time was about 4 years ago, lasted for about 4 months, then went. Checked out this blog because it came back last week. Damn, thought it was gone for good! Glad I'm not alone cause its a very weird sensation but because it comes and goes so quick you don't worry about it too much!
Me too, its amazing, I have had every test under the sun ran and nada. Tell me I have crystals laying on my lil hairs in my ears and that when I move (I don't have to be moving at all for the dizzy spell to happen) that they are falling between the hairs and making me dizzy. I have the exact same symptoms as everyone else here. It nice to know I'm not crazy and that others have experienced this.
this has been happening to me for almost a year, but not continuously. i haven't seen a doctor, but i think it has to do with my blood sugar spiking once i start eating, especially when i haven't eaten for many hours.
i have had this problem for a couple of years my doctor said its to do with a small bone in your ear and its being set off when you first stretch your jaw / mouth enough to take in food hence why it only happens first mouthful or so. hope this is some help for you guys.
I am a 39 year old female. And I am so glad that I am not alone. My coworkers think im over exaggerating, but it happens about 75% of the time. Always when I start to eat. I did have a problem about 10 months ago with vertigo but now it's just when I eat.  I hope to get more answers from you all.
Whew...I guess I can stop Googling aneurysm and stroke symptoms. I too am dealing with dizziness. The intense bouts started about 3 weeks ago although I have dealt with motion sickness throughout my life.

I've been trying some things and here is what I have discovered:

My blood pressure is generally 118-120/80 but its been up lately to 130/80. I believe that it is the stress of my fear that I am having a stroke that has raised this level.

I wanted to drop some weight so I cut my caloric intake drastically. I was drinking a glass of orange juice in the morning followed by a cup of coffee and a yogurt at break and I  became so dizzy that I had to sit down. The blackout feeling passed with time but the dizziness, blurry vision, heart pains, anxiety and difficulty in focusing on what others are saying lasted throughout the day. Oh yeah...irritable...very irritable.

I Googled a food list for my blood type which is O negative. People with my blood type already have a high level of acid in their system and my diet was definitely adding to this. I switched up my foods. These days I have a handful of raw walnuts for breakfast and another for break. I also switched to caffeine free tea instead of coffee. For lunch I take organic turkey slices and lay several leaves of raw spinach in them, roll them up and eat. The dizziness is all but gone.

During my afternoon break I was drinking a 12 oz glass of sprite. I cut that out but got one on Friday just to test...one sip and I was hit with a huge wave of dizziness. Also, since I've been living on nuts, turkey and spinach I decided to splurge this morning and make sausage, gravy, biscuit and orange juice, As soon as I had the juice and a couple of bites of food...WHAM!

I have mercury fillings. I had inner ear problems as a child and still have to use alcohol/vinegar drops when I swim to avoid swimmers ear. I am very active going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. I have had a round of antibiotics in the past 2 months after a minor surgery.
oops: forgot to add:

47 year old female
drinks 2 alcoholic beverages in the evenings
My allergies have been worse lately. My ears feel a bit stopped up this morning. I just took and antihistamine so I'll let you know if it make a difference.
This happens to me too.  I don't know why?
Its usually after the swallow that I fet dizzy.then a few bites later its gone..half hour later I get really tired...I have been told to check my thyroid.:-\
This happens to everybody. I believe it happens when you have kept your mouth closed for a long time and suddenly open it to eat the food. There is sudden rush of blood in the mouth mussels which is drawn away from the brain very quickly. The lack of oxygen causes the dizziness.
I too have this happen. It is after the first bite or two and don't last long. It happens with all types of food. It seems harmless to me, and after my research I believe it could be described like what they call a "Chilli High". That is where, the heat of the chilis causes your brain to release endorphins, which are the body's natural opiates. Some people get emotional after eating chilis, some feel dizzy. I get that dizzy head feeling everytime I eat hot peppers or chilli pepper seasoned food but it also happens with other foods. I have not asked my doctor about this theory yet, maybe someone here could chim in on this "endorphin release theory", as to if it is possible or not.
I just googled this because it happens to me, but not as often. Also, it seems to happen mostly with cold crispy salads, and just now I drank some cold water that I had added some mineral drops to and it happened, so now I am wondering if the sensation is caused by cold, water, or some kind of vitamin or mineral...I would like to know!
Hi I know it's a few years later but I have suffered from this for 4 years and just the other morning I woke up deaf. I went to the ENT and they told me I have sudden deafness. It's is not know what causes this but they treat it with steroids and hope u get your hearing back. I am waiting for a MRI to see if I have any kind of tumor or anything. It's very scary. I also have jaw problems so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I was never concerned with it till I lost my hearing. So hopefully my hearing will improve and it's not something very serious.
Did any of you tried any bad ecstasy before ?
I ran across this post because I finally decided to see if others have been having this issue. I too have been getting dizzy about 75% of the time when I start to eat anything...doesn't matter what it is. This has been going on for me since I was 16 yrs old, and it continues 34 yrs later. I have brought it up to my doctor one time, but she just blew it off and said she's "never heard of anything like that". Sometime's the dizziness is mild, but other times it is strong and lasts for over a minute. I would love to know what causes it, but so far I have been unable to find a reason.
Most of you probably have a vestibular dysfunction that can be worsened by allergies or inflammation. That's what I have and when my sinuses get inflamed, I get dizzy when I chew...especially crunchy things.
Has been happening to me know for a couple months,googled it came up with your thread....has anyone found out anything? I am prediabetic,but its only during first couple bites of food..
I have the same problem, been suffering from one or two times a month for a few seconds during the past five years.  When I take my first bite I see the room swimming before it settles and nothing more happens for the rest of the meal.  It has over time got more and more frequent plus intense to the point that if I bite into a Sandwich while I drive I take a risk to lose control for a few seconds and with company everybody looks on in concern when I duck my head until I compose myself at the dinner table.  I am out of the UK and because I had massive Asthma attack which lead to my hospitilisation I mentioned the issue to the Dr.  The Belgian Dr has scanned an echographed around my Liver because of all the products it produces as part of the digestion process (this afternoon I have just had a camera sent down to my gall bladder to check for stones but nothing...)  unfortunately other then my bloodwork showing issues they cannot track down the proble,.  I am 36 and male they have suggested that working in Customer Service (stress based) will result in my attraction to high sugar contained foods or coca-cola as part of the brains auto-comfort food drive.  The issue is probably not related to fat foods just the bodies drive for sugar.  To resolve I need to drop 9kg and take up sports that allow me to release stress, such jogging, tennis or squash.  My aim is to do this and see if it makes a difference, after reading so many of the responses I cannot help but think that the McDonalds generations of the 80's and 90's now in their 30's and 40's are going to be showing signs of problems which did not occur before.  Perhaps the numbers suffering from this are greater then this blog would have us think.  If I get a result from all the work my Dr is doing I will post it on here.
My 13 year old son has had the same problem for months now. We just went and had a glucose test done and everything came out good. He is a healthy active young man. We have not changed anything we do or eat and no stress for him. He says it only happens when he starts to eat. His dr put him on a snack at school mid morning and he says he gets dizzy then but not at lunch now. He still gets dizzy at supper but never in the morning at breakfast. He has no other signs and has been checked out by his dr. We dont know what else to try. Any help would be greatly welcomed.
Did you ever get a diagnosis. I have the same issue whenever I eat
No diagnosis for me yet either, unfortunately.  Mine still tends to come and go, although not as often as it used to, and as far as I can figure out, nothing in my lifestyle has changed that would affect it either.  Still trying to narrow it down tho....
hi if your son has any silver filings please get them out thy wont tell you it is the problem but i know it is i suffered for years he will get alot of things wrong with him as he gets older   PLEASE SAVE HIM FROM THAT IF HE HAS SILVER HILINGS GET THEM OUT NOW
i am having exactly the same thing happening to me and i too have fillings  mine were from the navy years ago
I have similar symptoms, its always the first few bites of a meal and it passes quickly. There's no correlation to the food or anything I can pin down, other than it is always when I start eating, and once it has passed it doesn't recurr within that meal. I hardly ever drink so I don't think it is alcohol related.

I wouldn't describe it as dizziness though. To me it is more like feeling feint. The worst occurrence so far was on Christmas day when I sat down for my Christmas dinner, I felt like I was going to black out and I got a buzzing sound in my ears. It was gone within 5 seconds and I was fine. The next time it happened was the following day when I had a bacon sandwich, but not so severe. Hasn't happened since.

I'm 48 and have been having mild symptoms for perhaps a few months.
I have been having this problem for sometime, I get light headed and dizzy when I start to eat rice or bread products.  I don't get it when i eat anything else, it's really strange.  It doesn't really happen when i eat pasta, not as bad anyway. But the other day i nearly passed out from eating a slider at a bar.  It's this overwhelming feeling of dizzyness and shortness of breath. My vision gets a little blurry and rather dark.  It's scares me sometimes.  I really wish I knew what the hell was going on.  I have since cut all grain and bread products from my diet.  I also noticed that when i drink even one beer the next day I wake up with sinus congestion and a head ache.  I do have allergies and take a once-a-day every night, but other than that i'm healthy.  Any answers please????

I have been tested for diabetes and i've had an EKG. my BP is usually 90/60, HR 60-65. All within normal limits
Yes! Thank you for sharing! I have similar symptoms and was diagnosed with BPPV (Benign positional vertigo) many years ago.  I have determined that is I should avoid artificial sweeteners, artificial air fresheners, spicy foods, etc.  I also limit alcohol.  It was nice to see that I am not alone.
Add me to the list. I just started having this happen about a week ago and was wondering if it was blood pressure related or what. Doesn't happen all the time and lasts a few seconds. Glad to see it's not something unique.
A related discussion, dizzy when eating was started.
Hi All. Same here as well. I suddenly get dizzy on first bite and it last less than 10 seconds. It's really annoying that I have to freeze myself of chewing and moving to finish the dizziness. No specific food that may have caused. It's already a year now. I'm male, 33, and health is perfect for the last 25 years until today for this sickness. Seems that all who have same symptoms here has no exact answer yet. I'll go to our company doctor for further checking.

By the way, I sometimes noticed that I feel dizzy if I am a bit hungry before my first bite. I believe certain food doesn't matter here since we felt dizzy just right on the chewing part only. I can only sense that at the first chew, we're salivating that causes our senses to rush into our mouth and temporarily affected on this is our brain. Cause of low blood pressure maybe?  I am not a doctor but a tech guy. My finding is just my opinion.
41 yr old male. I first experienced dizziness when I was about to eat at a restaurant, when is was 18. It never happened again until recently (last week or so, and not consistently - not every meal). Like the previous posts, it happens just before I am about to eat, while I'm eating, and lasts sometimes up to a few minutes. I do have seasonal allergies, and take Zyrtec or Allegra frequently (those are the only meds I take - however they were not in existence 23 years ago when I was 18, also take Ibuprofen on occasion). I run or exercise three to four times a week. Not a gym rat, but not too overweight. Drink beer a lot..haha, but only good beer. I don't know if any of these connect to whatever it is that's making this condition happen, just wonder if there are any similarities to anyone else.
too feel a bit dizzy or light headed during the start of my meal.

My doctor says it's brought on by the anxiety I am creating in my system regarding the anticipation of food. For me, this makes a ton of sense as I am prone to anxiety in general, explains why it happens at the beginning of the meal and not everytime but more so when I am hungrier and usually in a calm environment.  

I don't really experience any other symptoms than this, so for me this makes sense and perhaps could be what some of you are experiencing.

Thanks.  
I'm a 46 yr old male and have the same symptoms
I too just recently experienced this. I ate a huge dollop of wasabi mustard on some sushi and immediately got dizzy when I finished swallowing it. It lasted approximately 15-20 seconds. I was wondering if there was a way to overdose on wasabi, but found nothing but this blog. The dizziness was very similar to vertigo. 44 year old male.
I have exactly the same thing you experience. I don't think it has to do with food. It could merely be the action of chewing. Once when I yawn i too had that sudden dizziness.

I wondered if it had anything to do with me removing my wisdom teeth.. because that was the start of my problems. One of wisdom tooth was close to my nerves and required me to be under GA. The next day, I experienced my first vertigo and a nose bleed. Thereafter I realised i had experienced dizzy spells when i travel and realised I'm more prone to travel sickness which i never had previously. I had my vertigo checked and the ENT specialist noted that my ear probably had particles loose. I learned how to handle my vertigo which will also trigger if i move my head too quickly to the left or leaned back. But it will be ok when I readjust my position. It usually goes away when i pause the chewing and resume later.

I am nailing it down to possibly the loose particles and the nerves reacting to the "balance" when I move. Not sure if the dentist had used so much force during the extraction of 3 teeth when I'm under GA,that caused the loose particles in my ear.Learning to deal and live with it and certainly hate that I can't resolve it.
Viewing 201-211 comments: