Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Head pressure upon standing up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Head pressure upon standing up

I am at a loss.  Suddenly, 2 years ago, I began experiencing this strange symptom AFTER I sit for a while (at least 20 minutes, such as at a computer or just a chair)  About 30 seconds after I stand up after I've been sitting, this pressure starts in my upper neck and grows upwards into my entire head - the pressure becomes very intense.  I can liken it to a water balloon being filled up from the sink - the pressure builds until it feels my head is actually going to pop off my shoulders.  It only lasts for about a minute, then I begin to feel throbbing or pulsating and the pressure gradually diminishes until I am back to normal.  The whole process seems to take less than 5 minutes but is very scary but no pain is involved other than pressure.  

I am 45 years old, used to smoke but don't any longer.  Overweight from the smoking battle.  All my life I had low blood pressure until this symptom started and now I have sporadically high pressure.  

Over the two years I've seen several different doctors and undergone tests on my heart, MRI of my head, 2 ultrasounds of my carotid arteries and tons of blood tests - so far nothing has been found to be wrong, but this symptom persists and I am very frustrated.  It is just so scary - the pressure is so very intense that I worry something bad will come of it one of these days.   Does anyone have suggestions?  I keep trying to post on the doctor side of the forums but keep getting messages saying they are not accepting anymore questions and to try later.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.   : )
Have they checked your spinal pressure with a spinal tap? It could be you have either to little spinal fluid or to much causing this. There is a term for this but I can not remember the name. I would make an appt with a neurologist and have them to a full work up on you.

Lisa
This breathing exercise will help you a lot.Start doing it now and then everyday.Keep a note of any change in symptoms.
Anulom Vilom - Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
then  - Breath-out through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   -Deep Breath-in through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   - Breath-out through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle for upto 15 minutes. Maximum 3 times day.
actually the mri may have been able to determine if there is csf insufficiencies or swelling. i agree though that you need to see a neurologist.  you may also have a syrinx, its very rare but it forms a wormlike tissue that folows the spinal cord. im speculating.good luck.
it took a few doctors to finally get to the bottom of the same symptoms you are having.... finally a cardiologist put me on a "tilt test" and... I was diagnosed with Neurocardiogenic syndrome.  Sounds worse than it is... but it has to do with gravity...blood not getting to the top as it should... some cases causing fainting... in order for gravity and nature to take care of the the problem (laying down gets the blood flowing to your head).   I was on a couple of meds and eventually excersice has been the best way to manage the issue.   As with all similar symptoms... you shoudl still seek professinal help and not rely on just these forums... even though now you know what test to suggest the next Dr.  Best of luck... and get up slowly after some deep breaths in the meantime!