Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
How do I know if I have to start the treatment over again for mallet fi...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

How do I know if I have to start the treatment over again for mallet finger?

Around the beginning of October I noticed that my left thumb would not straighten. I can only imagine that I had injured my thumb playing piano. Foolishly, I ignored this injury thinking that it would get better over time. It never did straighten, so I went to a doctor around the 20th of December. I was told that I had mallet finger. They put me in a stax splint. I have worn this splint continuously for 3 weeks.

Today, after 3 weeks of wearing this splint, I had a followup appointment. The doctor insisted that I take the splint off so that he could look at it. Sure enough my finger still drooped. I was outraged at this because it was my understanding that the splint had to be worn continuously for 4-6 weeks. My thumb was allowed to bend for about half a minute. Does this mean that the healing process basically starts over? In that case I'm looking at additional 4-6 weeks again? I have another appointment in 3 weeks, in which I wouldn't be surprised if he wants me to take it off again, thus preventing it from ever healing. Should I seek a second opinion?
Tags: Finger, mallet finger, Joint x, tendon, thumb
Time to go get evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon who does hand surgery. I would get back in the splint on the off chance you still might be able to heal it but you may be too far out from the original injury. But, generally, you would start the clock over and treat for another 6 weeks in the splint. Bummer.