Nail Nightmare
My fiance has lost his fingernails and toenails. It started about  11/2 yrs. ago, his nails became white and then started to lift off his nail bed. Now that all of his nails have completely fallen off, the nail bed is puffy, dry and when the nail trys to grow back, it splits off the bed because of the puffiness. He's gone and recieved a biopsy, it came back NOT a fungus. He has also recieved an STD test and that came back negitive as well. He does not drink  much anymore and is not prescribed pain medication anymore either, but he suffered from a dependency from both and still no change. We were thinking maybe it was diabetes, it runs in his family and looking at the symptom list it seems like another possibility. I've added some photos of his fingers and a side profile of his thumb so you can see the puffiness. The black on the nail is from him slamming it at work. His nails and toes are generally discolored and yellow. Any suggestions?
Yellow nails that fall off are typical symptoms of nail psoriasis. I'm not too sure about the puffiness though. Have him see a dermotologist or rheumatologist to be evaluated for psoriasis. People who have nail psoriasis are more likely to have the associated arthritic condition known as psoriatic arthritis. Does he have any joint complaints?
Try this website. I has photos of tons of different nail conditions. http://www.dermnet.com/moduleIndex.cfm?moduleID=13
Look at the pictures one by one, and check out the conditions that his looks most similar to. He should then go to a dermatologistwith a list of possibilities. There are several individual conditions that can cause this.