Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Weak and Shakey(shaky)?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Weak and Shakey(shaky)?

Hi- I am 33yrs old and for about 7 monthes now I have been having these "spells" where all the sudden I will get really weak
and Shakey (shaky) feeling, my face gets really warm and I feel like I can't think straight. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to faint but I never have. The Drs. can't tell me whats wrong I had a full line of blood work done, heart tests like an echocardiogram,
Event Monitor. Blood work was normal, Echo showed possible bicuspid aortic valve but cardiologist said it would not cause these symptoms. Event Monitor was normal. Does anyone else experience anything like this?? I was told it might be a panic attack, but I've had those in the past and they were different than this. I thought possibly it could be my blood sugar dropping, but dr. says no cuz bloodwork was normal. Sometimes I feel better though if I eat something when its happening.  WHat could this be?????
Hi Kari,

When this spell happens, is it like a surge of adrenalin or something there about? Do you feel a sense of detachment,unreality? Do you feel nausea or like you have to go to the bathroom really quick? Also does your blood pressure go up or down?

More description would be very helpful.

Thank you
Question for Keeby ... the questions you asked about adrenalin surge, unreality ... that happened to me ... could you explain that. Please see my question in this same forum under LIGHTHEADEDNESS (user name LIGHTWISE). Thank You
Hi there all the symptoms you mentioned i get them to sometimes chronic. This is classic symptoms of anxiety, panic attacks. Try mild exercise works wonders for me
I am 36 yrs of age i have been experiencing nausea, sweating,feeling of flushing,really jittery, all at the same time. I also get periods of being very sluggish and sleepy feeling when all of these symptoms occur, i have high triglycerides above 650 i have taken tricor before but not currently on this med. my sugar is normal everytime i go to doc but when i take my sugar using mother -in-law monitor it has been in the 200's and up before and also has been as low as 60 before what is going on ????any suggestions?? i would appreciate any suggestions.
I am new to MedHelp.

Your entry about getting weak and shakey (shaky) is exactly what I have been going through.  But I see that it is a year and some months ago.  Did you ever get any other answers that are not showing on the website, or some other insight into a cause or solution?

Like you, it comes on very suddenly (if I am standing, I need to sit immediately, or I feel like my legs will give out under me), and also like you, it seems to go away quickly, if I eat something right away.  I have tested my blood sugar levels, and they are normal (I am not diabetic, but have a testing kit because a family member is).  I have not checked my blood pressure when this happens.  Any ideas?  Thank you.
I have all he excat symtoms (symptoms) you have mentioned Renski. Im a 21 year old male. I seem to get these symtoms (symptoms) worse after I have been out drinking for a night. Somtimes I have noticed that after I drink coffee I get the symtoms (symptoms) tend to flare up. I get these flushes of heat, and cold sweats at night, thats when its at its worst. My legs are very weak and achey (achy) and feel very heavy to move. I have a sore throat that comes and goes. I feel very light headed all of a sudden, like im about to faint and then go shakey (shaky) and cold with a hot flushed red face. I think then my heart starts to thump and i need to sit. This could last for days until it dies down again but then seems to return at any given time. Is there for this condition?
I am 19 years old. I have had these symptoms off and on for 2 years. I have gone to my physician numerous times over this, but now my symptoms are more prominent and last longer. I'm beginning to get cold sweats on top of the weak, jittery, nauseated, lightheaded and fatigued symptoms. I have had blood tests done which show nothing. I was told that it is probably just depression/anxiety. I have had a past of depression and never have I had these symptoms. I have previously thought it could be anemia since most people in my family have it, but I tested negative for it. So I thought maybe hypoglycemia, but my glucose levels are fine. What is going on?
Hi Guys,

I've been suffering from what i think is aniexty for years. Just been looking over your comments & stuff and thought id add what i feel like most of the time. The feeling I get is that im going to have a 'fit', I go really shakey (shaky) and feel jittery...like im hungry and sometimes when i do eat this feeling goes away. Often if i wake up in the middle of the night i get this 'fit' type of feeling....its really strange to describe! Sometimes i get anixous and the need to stretch my body! I also get the heavy head/neck sensations as though someone is grabbing hold of my head and trying to move it. My vision goes blurred and i dont feel like i can concentrate. It gets really bad when i need to go into big department stores or when i need to focus on something. I also suffer from palpitations and the feeling of 'un-reality'. I have had a full blood count done, fasting bloods also and an ECG heart scan....all come back fine!! Ive had a session with a councillor but to be honest my problems have seem to of gotten worse. I just want to be happy again. I dont drink an awful lot of caffine either. Does anyone else get this 'fit' type of feeling?

xx
You show all the classic symptoms of Anxiety and depression - which I have suffered from in the past and still do now. All you want is for the problems to just go away so you can go back to how you felt before the problems started. Other symtoms (symptoms) you might of experienced include:  feeling as though you might be about to die, feeling that you are about to lose prermanent control over your emotions and will end up in a mental hospital. These sorts of feelings and emotions are so powerful they can overcome pleasure and pain. For example: If you win some money or you are watching your favourite T.V show in the circumstances you will be unable to enjoy any aspect of what would normally be a plesurable experiance. My answer to you in terms of the problem you have is this: Your brain is currently experiencing a CHEMICAL IMBALANCE caused by (usually) one or more of the following: medication you might have taken in the past, drug abuse, repeated levels of extreme stress or a paricularly frightening experience that occured whilst you were in an emotional state of mind. Your doctor has probably already explained all this to you, he might have offered you an N.H.S self help booklet - which is extremley comforting for a short time but does not provide a cure. The best way to control your symptoms is to try a course of anti-depressants which try to restore the chemical balance in your brain. These tablets however have certain side effects and often worsen your condition before it gets better. You have to ask yourself if you have the mental strength to cope during this period - if you do things will definately improve over time. If you are to scared to take the tablets there are some other steps you can take to improve your condition. You could try to focus your attention on a new hobby or spend a lot more timein the company of someone you look up to and respect - someone you feel could take control over a situation and you feel safe with. You can also spend more time watching films and try to concentrate on films you haven't seen before. When the feeling hits you that you have actually spent some time enjoying the film and not worrying about your health - try to hold on to the fact that this means that all of your symptoms are in your head and physically you are fit and well. When you are on the road to recovery a common stumbling block is the thought that even though you have the mental strength to relax when you feel anxiety coming on how can you be sure that you are not ignoring symptoms that are actually dangerous. Well the best way to think is that if your symptoms are serious you would you would know the difference. If you were having a heart attack you would instantly not be able to control the movement of your arms and legs, the pain would be so intense you would not be able to breathe or to think about anything else. If you ever feel as though you are having a heart attack - remember that if you were you would know the difference. This goes for a lot of other symptoms that might worry you and cause you anxiety. Try calling the n.h.s helpline to put your mind at ease. 08454647.
I have been having very similar symptoms on and off for about four years, only they are getting to be more frequent and lasting longer. Now I feel weak and unsteady almost anytime I wake up from sleeping. I'll wake up at night with a vertigo/dizziness- sometimes it happens during waking hours out of the blue. My heart rate is usually anywhere from "faster than normal" to "racing". I often feel faint for hours, unable to think clearly, very slow moving. It's usually accompanied by an internal jittery feeling, not visibly shaking but like my systems are all keyed up inside. My digestive system will go from stubbornly constipated to having to go immediately, usually while I'm feeling afraid I'll faint on the bowl. Basically I don't know from one day to the next how I'm going to feel.
I have also had multiple ekg's, 2 echocardiograms, chest xray, abdominal catscan, blood work-ups, 24 hour urine collection, adrenal gland tested, event monitor. So far I have no definitive answer but I absolutely reject the diagnosis of panic attack or depression side effect. My symptoms can of course cause me to feel panicky at times, and naturally it can get depressing and frustrating to not be able to get a handle on it, but there is no doubt in my mind that something physiological is behind it. From what I've read hypothyroidism is often missed because the thyroid testing by many doctors doesn't always go far enough. I'm getting another battery of them done. Also, don't discount the possibility of it being related to a cervical compression of the nerves in your spine that control the autonomic systems like BP, heart rate, digestion, etc... In fact,  whether it's related or not, I often get a pronounced soreness and stiffness in my neck and upper back that radiates across. I have an apptmt. with an Orthopaedic guy next week to look into that angle.  The adrenal gland can also cause all these symptoms, so ask an Endocronologist to look into that in addition to whatever other metabolic possibilities it might be. In my case it's not the adrenal gland, but that gland can cause these exact symptoms too. Also check with your GYN. Us females in our 40's or 50's stand a good chance that it could be related to the hormonal changes that occur before, during or after menopause. You'll be amazed at how many women get some or all of these symptoms. I am determined to find the answer and I will absolutely post my diagnosis when I feel I've actually gotten one. In the meantime, don't just accept that it's in your head or just a reaction to stress. Not that that isn't possible, but these same symptoms can generate from cardio, endo, neuro, orthopedic, menopausal changes. Look into everything thoroughly and X off things as you go along. Good luck to all of us.
i have been suffering in the same way for 2 yrs now, i do not believe what doctors and psychiatrists tell me i do however believe it is something physical but have no proof and my problems are getting much much worse i do not know where to turn about this problem as nobody not even my parents realise how bad this is i have lost a lot of weight around 4 stone in the last yr i have trouble with food now as i can not tolerate food easily my heart races when i eat,smoke basically when i do anything i have tried medication for anxiety and been in hospital twice but nothing has worked for me i am now at a low and at times feel very suicidal...please help, maxine
A related discussion, shakey (shaky) jittery very tired lite headed dazed was started.
you may have the start of parkinsons disease. see a neurologist.
this is exactly what happens to me what is the problem i dont get it i also wen to the doctors and they cant seem to give me an answer to this problem
Hello keely200,

how are you feeling now??
have they found what's causing your problem? just curious cause i just started feeling similar episodes from what you describe. all i remember is it started after i had 2 glasses of ice tea. i would appreciate it if you can share.

Juliet
I know you posted this a while back, but I'm 29 and I have had the same issues since last August, and think I have figured out that is is low potassium. Try eating a banana and see how you feel. I had alot of bloodwork done to and the Dr's tell me the same thing, that "you are perfectly healthy". They don't know everything. I've read that low potassium can be caused by illness, so if you got sick and your body got depleted of potassium, you'll have to replace it.
TAKE A VITAMIN D TEST FROM YOUR MD!!!!!!!!! trust me when i say if you have low vitamin d it can make you feel totally out of it(weak, shakey (shaky), cloudy vision, etc) !!!!!!!!!!! and if it comes back low make sure you get a prescribed vitamin d (NOT OVER COUNTER)
Have any of you people taken Lipitor (or any statin drug) within the past year?

Sunshine
I have had the same symptoms as you all have mentioned. I am scheduled to see an Endo.but not until June. I have noticed mine is worse before and during my period. I am 44. I do believe hormones play a role. For you women, try a natural progesterone.  Also, I found that if I eat a protein snack (protein bar) around 9pm it helps me not wake up during the night (4am ish) with panic feelings.
im the same way.  I eat, it goes away.  I also don't have diabeties and my blood pressure is fine
I have the same feelings. I am a 66 year old grandma.  These feelings come on from time to time. I feel flushed, shake, and weak. I also feel like I need to throw up or faint. My ears plug up, And my vision gets dark. I hate to tell anyone because I am afraid they think I am faking.
    Hello, Poochie...   The symptoms you describe for someone our age can be a cardiac problem.  Do you sweat/perspire when this happens?  As women, we do not get the same symptoms as men do when we suffer from heart trouble.
      Please do not keep this to yourself.  You could have suffered a mild silent heart attack.  Only an EKG will show it.
      I have had some similar symptoms and was put on Nitro and Cardizem.   My blood pressure is a little high, but I try not to worry about it too much as when I do, it goes higher!

Please make an appt. with a cardiologist if you can afford it.
   Wishing you the best.
I will wake up in the night and automatically feel hot and nauseous and literally run to get a xanax. It doesn't happen all the time,but when it does it really scares me,I feel weak,like I could faint. Doctors can't find any issues either,which is so frustrating,because clearly this is not normal.My blood pressure is good,bloodwork too.I have had all sorts of heart testing done as well.I don't want to live at my Dr.'s office,but I'd love a resolution!
  Thanks for listening!
I have the same symptoms and was wondering if you ever received a diagnosis?
Yes I pretty much have tose symptoms as well as the weak/shaky and lightheaded feelings.  What could it possibly be?
I can't say why you get this, but you might search "Multiple Chemical Sensitivity" and see if any of the symptoms fit.   Many doctors still do not recognize this now widespread illness so it is very hard to get a diagnosis much less help in dealing with it.
i would check ur blood twice a day, once in the morning and before eating dinner. keep track. also i would check it when u have an attack. if u show a trend of high or low sugar after tracking for a couple weeks to a month, take ur records to the doctor with u and show them the results. i get that feeling when my sugar gets under 90. good luck, hope u feel better.
Hello Allison, sorry to trouble you but I have just read your comments on med page, I could have written it as it's exactly how I feel, I know it is an old thread but just wanted to know if you found any answers, thank you.

Regards
Bren Stimson
I have similar symptoms too. Shaking legs and fingers, pain in leg muscles, and sometimes arm muscles. Worse on left side. Problems standing - feeling like I am going to fall over. No issues with walking or running though. Standing in line is hard sometimes. Episodes of extreme fatigue lasting days. Feeling of foot falling asleep lasting hours or days. Hands and feet going really cold.
Sometimes eating solves the problem and other times going to bathroom fixes it. Problems are mostly in afternoon/evening. I don't know if its blood sugar issue, food allergy, hormonal, vitamin deficiency, related to my sedentary lifestyle (I have a desk job), rare undiagnosed problem or just part of my anxiety disorder. I tested negative for B12 deficiency, MS and celiac. CBC is normal. Also had chest x-ray and full cardiac workup (echocardiogram) which was also normal. I take a generic multi vitamin.

Please do not say things like that. Depression and anxiety mimics a lot of other sicknesses and diseases. If you tell someone they have parkinsons disease or any other possibility like that, they will freak out and it will cause them more anxiety and depression. They are all ready in a fragile state and can experience being a hypochrondiac. Everyone please see a doctor to really determine what is wrong with you.
Oh thank god someone with common sense!!!!! I want to scream at all these other answers, but that wouldn't be polite. If you want to see what low vitamin d really looks like and not what doctors tell you it looks like go to medhelp form and read the symptoms of other recovering people like me. My doctor ran up every test known to man, but kept telling me it wasn't symptoms for vitamin d. $37,000 dollars later I again ask him to run the test because now even my hair was starting to fall out. Guess what darn it I was severe vitamin d deficient. I was at 13 and your suppose to be at 80-90. I'm native american and I spend all day outside but I always wore sunscreen. Now I'm better.  After taking my prescription strength vit. d for a while I now take 4000 units daily to keep it up. And boy do I know when I've forgotten for a week.  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/recovery-after-vitamin-D-deficiency/Vitamin-D-deficiency--symptoms/show/1257522
Thank you for the info, I have all above systems and I did test low in Vitamin D, I also have most problems in the morning. If I don't eat a wholesome meal in the morning, and do too much actively I get weak.  How long after taken vitamin did you get better?
thank you so much!
A related discussion, random symptoms was started.
I finally got around to investigating my problem.

I've suffered from some of the same symptoms you've all described since I was young.

The flushing and cold sweats accompanied by muscle weakness started a few years back and has only gotten worse.

I've had episodes under a number of conditions but it is especially apparent after large amounts of caffeine followed by a period of fasting for more than six hours or so. That guarantees an attack.

It's not anxiety. I've been there, done that and it feels different. It's not blood sugar. I've tested it many times under the circumstances and it's been normal. BP is fine. Everything I can test is fine. I even had a DNA sequence because I was worried it might be something like Huntington's Chorea. Nope. Fine.

One other symptom accompanies my fatigue and weakness. I wouldn't call it an "irregular heartbeat" because the rhythm is fine but it's strong enough that you can see my chest bounce if I'm laying down. This is when I feel the worst. My body feels like lead. My head is foggy. I feel miserable.

I finally couldn't take it anymore yesterday. That's when I finally found a possible explanation to tie it all together. Something that would only show up on a very specific test... too small a concentration to show on a blood test.

How many servings of leafy green veggies would you say you eat weekly?

Me, I don't eat nearly enough.

Magnesium is pretty important.

Monoculture farming has depleted the amount of magnesium in our soil and as a result... in our food.

Intracellular magnesium is difficult to measure. Blood serum concentrations are a very poor indicator.

The red flag in all this... caffeine depletes magnesium as your body processes it.

All of this can lead to poor absorption of things like vitamin D.

I'm no expert and I can't say for sure but maybe you nice folk could research along with me or something.

Start here, maybe? http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/magnesium

Good luck. I'll be around.
Ryan your a genius, thank you! My daughter just got out of the hospital, diverticulitis at 24. Her Magnesium was very low so they infused Magnesium. We were just sitting here at home and she started ts shake uncontrollably, her pulse was 92.
I got on here and after an hour of reading posts I stumbled on yours.
Did you also have a metallic taste in your mouth at the time? Im thinking my daughters shaking is due to low magnesium, taking her to GP tomorrow for the test.