Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Wound that won't heal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Wound that won't heal

Dear Doctors,

A few months ago I noticed a small wound on the right side of my lower back. It was scabbed over, so I left it alone to run its course and heal. However, I noticed weeks later that it had not healed completely, and that it remained a scabbed-over wound. I picked the scab, applied a band-aid and antibiotic and hoped that would help it to fully heal. However, it did not. The wound has not healed completely, it just remains scabbed over. What could be the cause of this and what can I do to make the wound heal completely?
You need to see your doctor. Any wound that does not heal needs attention, it can be a sign of underlying illness.
If you are diabetic, that may be the cause of your slow healing.  If not, then you really should see your heath care provider. Kalio is right that you may have another health problem that requires medical attention. This has been a while, so don't put off the visit to the doctor, but go as soon as possible.
You need to see a medical doctor immediately. Diabetes is one possibility, however a malignancy is another. If you don't have a malignancy and there seems to be no answer a "stop smoking" transdermal nicotine patch placed nearby will induce healing. These patches are currently being used in a study involving healing following bowel resection.
Don't scratch at it or peel off surface. Ask your MD to take a
look at it or go to a Dermatologist to evaluate. It may be a
Basal or Squamous cell skin cancer. These can send out runners
under the skin that aren't visible & continue to enlarge below
surface. A Basal will often crust, heal, almost disappear, then
crust again. These can change into a squamous cell & enlarge.
If ck'd by a Derm., they can do small punch biopsy to determine
what it is. Each time you shower or move around, you will
irritate spot. Maybe it's an infection that needs more than OTC
ointment. Get it looked at, especially if you like to tan. UV
goes through clothes. The longer the wait. The longer the scar.
Gd-luck.
HI. I agree with some of the others. Don't pick at the scab. My mother had the same problem and she didn't think anything of it. She let it go for over a year before she finally went to the doctor. When she did go they did a biopsy and found out it was malinoma skin cancer. They had to cut it out of her leg. It was a hole that was 2 inches in diameter and an inch deep. She has to go in for evaluations and testing every 3 months to make sure that it has not spread. They caught it just in time and got it removed, and she got away with not needing chemotherapy. So please go have it looked at before its too late. Keep us updated.
it could also be there is an infection in the wound that needs stronger antibiotics than something OTC.  see you doctor for an evaluation.
ive got 2 sores. one on my ear and one on my shoulder.
neither will heal.

one (my ear) is not so hard to understand. i frequently find myself playing with it, it opens on my pillow at night etc.

the other I dont mess with and keep covered.

They both ooze plasma when they open which is odd in itself as I've never experienced such a phenomenon.

any ideas what may be the problem?

its been 3 weeks and neither have healed.

I've had a scab on my arm near my elbow since I was in my early teens that hasn't healed at all. I'll be 19 this year. It's about the size of a grain of rice and it's not like most scabs. It's not as dry and flaky as most normal scabs are. But it is a redish color. I've played lots of sports over the years, so I figured I just got injured and it just needed a lot of time to heal.

I just wanted to share my story so that others that read this won't think that they are alone. I'm going to my dermatologist as soon as I get home for summer break.

Thanks for the rest of these comments! They really helped!
OKay, I am a 42 yr old female.  Army, active duty. I had cranial surgery Nov, 2008. For middle fossia repair and plugging of semicircular canal, right side.  While I was in recovering from the surgery, I contracted what the army med's say was, scabies.  This was January.  I was treated. Sores still here.  New one's pop up. They are like pimples about 2-mm. They create a very ugly scare. My arms mainly. Some on my back.  Any cut or scratch just creates this scare, with a sore.  Could be an autoimmune issue?

I know I need to see a doc. Derm. But my brother was diagnosed with melanoma 4 yrs ago.  Not sure I want to think of the odd's. Any advise...other than see my doc?  Does this sound familiar to anyone it's been 4 months.  They look like they want to heal then reappear.  On my face too..
Thanks for writing to the forum!
If you have not been tested for diabetes then please get one—fasting, 2 hours after food and if both are normal then a glucose tolerance test. Also consult a skin specialist—it may not be scabies but dermatitis, staphylococcal skin infection, or eczema. It can also be psoriasis. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I fell on my knee and got two scrapes.  They scabbed but I played with it and took the scab off. I put band-aids with antibiotics and neosporin on it for awhile then removed them.  Soon they had blisters on them.  Someone told me to break the blisters and apply neosporin.  I did that but they are still not healed and it has been about a month since I fell.  I don't know what to do.  HELP, PLEASE !!!
Welcome to the forum!
Consult a skin specialist. In all probability there is underlying infection. The scabs are protective coverings for healing to happen underneath and should never be played with. A scraping from the wound should be cultured. Also you need to test for diabetes.
entrance wounds from parasitic worms take a very long time to heal,my daughter has one on her forehead for about 7 months,it got smaller but is not yet gone
A related discussion, Scab that will not go away after years was started.
A related discussion, Itchy scab that wont heal was started.
A related discussion, Cuts not healing was started.
Thanks for this post, I have red round 5mm sores on my arm , and 1 on my shoulders . I don't trust Dr,s for anything but i think i might make an exception. ~<3~
did you ever find out about this? I have the exact same thing on my arm and i'm paranoid as to what it might be.