Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
bug bite, bruise, or broken vein?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

bug bite, bruise, or broken vein?

i had just pulled into work a few days ago about 9 in the morning and looked down at my left hand and saw that i had a raised, light blue round bump about 1/2 inch.  i felt a small amount of pain coming from it but not much at all.
     i asked my boss what it was and she said she thought it was a vein that burst.  two days later, the bruise has gotten better but it has developed more of a bulls eye look to it.  
i noticed that it was lighter in the middle of the bruise on the first day but didn't think anything of it but now the bulls eye seems to be more apparent.
   no pain though but the bruise is still slightly raised.  it is in between my pointer and middle finger, right in between those two ligaments.
pictures in my photo album...
i would say it was probably the broken vein.
do u have itching?if there is itching it could be a insect bite allergy.if no itching it could b a bruise with underlying small bloodclot formation probably now resolving.veins dont get ruptured that easily.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
From your description it looks like a bruise. If you are not on any medications like anticoagulants, blood thinners or birth control pills then this could be due to clotting disorders, low platelet count, fragile spider veins, deep vein thrombus, deficiency of Vitamin B12, folic acid, or Vit K, a liver disease or certain cancers. It could also be due to pressure urticaria. If you are on medications then you need to discuss that with your doctor.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
As doctornee states, it looks like a bruise, and the primary reason for these events is a failure for the blood to clot properly. It is also possible to have a co-factor, such as fragile veins.

The specialist to see is a hematologist, although a good G.P. can conduct the tests. Unfortunately, your family physician isn't usually (there are exceptions) set up to do so.

There are several tests to determine clotting and, of course your blood is examined microsvopicall. The tests are painless. One involves sticking you to form a droplet of blood and ducking it up into a thin glass tube, and timing the rate at which the blood solidifies.

A common cause is vitamin K deficiency, which can be caused by dietary deficiencies, as well as certain medications.

The drill here is:

You need a blood clotting test. Not necessarily within the next six hours, but within thirty days. The reason is, if the blood does not clot on your hand, if you fall and bump your head it may not clot under the skull. Clotting has survival value. So you should not "just forget about this". The tests may show your blood clots within normal limits and then a structural abnormality in the vein is most likely.