Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
possible fractured ribs?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

possible fractured ribs?

I've been sick and coughing for a while.  About 5 days ago, I noticed a spot of pain on my ribs when I coughed.  The pain was not severe so I ignored it.  Yesterday, I coughed and felt a sharp *crack* on that spot.  After an hour of escalading pain, I went to my family doctor.  He determined that it was not broken since it didn't move when he pressed it.  He thinks that I pulled a muscle/nerve and that it will take 5 days for me to recover.  Also, I am young and, to quote my doctor, "it is highly unlikely for someone your age to fracture a rib without impact."

I still do not know the source of the crack.  Moreover, I have noticed that my lower 3ish ribs are not symmetrical - one side appears collapsed and it is extremely painful for me to try to find my ribs on that side.  I am certain that my ribs used to be symmetrical.  I experience pain when I move my ribs (basically all the time) and the pain medicine he prescribed makes me extremely drowsy.

I am a student/athelete and it is important for me to remain alert, so I am not taking the medication except to sleep.  I understand that Xrays are mainly a waste of money as there is nothing a doctor can do for a fractured rib.  

What I want to know is this: is there a possibility that I have a fractured rib?  If so, how long will it take before I can participate in sports again?  After this amount of time, should I take it slow and avoid further damage to the area, or is it alright to start retraining immediately?  I am on a sports team and need to know if I should quit for the season.  How should I care for my hurt ribs?
If it is a cracked rib, let your body be your guide as to what you can do. it is more likely to be a "separated rib" form the severe coughing, and will heal in a week or two after you stop coughing.
thanks
I fell down the stairs I hurt my left side trying to stop I hurt only on left side on back and left side of ribs when I exhale or inhale it hurts and because I am in pain I feel nausious I can move but I dont move to fast I turned the other day and heard a pop  after that I couldnt breathe then I layed still and moved slowly to do my house work through the rest of the day I can move around but slowly  what should I do? Will it heal it self  ?