possible fractured ribs?
I've been sick and coughing for a while.  About 5 days ago, I noticed a spot of pain on my ribs when I coughed.  The pain was not severe so I ignored it.  Yesterday, I coughed and felt a sharp *crack* on that spot.  After an hour of escalading pain, I went to my family doctor.  He determined that it was not broken since it didn't move when he pressed it.  He thinks that I pulled a muscle/nerve and that it will take 5 days for me to recover.  Also, I am young and, to quote my doctor, "it is highly unlikely for someone your age to fracture a rib without impact."

I still do not know the source of the crack.  Moreover, I have noticed that my lower 3ish ribs are not symmetrical - one side appears collapsed and it is extremely painful for me to try to find my ribs on that side.  I am certain that my ribs used to be symmetrical.  I experience pain when I move my ribs (basically all the time) and the pain medicine he prescribed makes me extremely drowsy.

I am a student/athelete and it is important for me to remain alert, so I am not taking the medication except to sleep.  I understand that Xrays are mainly a waste of money as there is nothing a doctor can do for a fractured rib.  

What I want to know is this: is there a possibility that I have a fractured rib?  If so, how long will it take before I can participate in sports again?  After this amount of time, should I take it slow and avoid further damage to the area, or is it alright to start retraining immediately?  I am on a sports team and need to know if I should quit for the season.  How should I care for my hurt ribs?
If it is a cracked rib, let your body be your guide as to what you can do. it is more likely to be a "separated rib" form the severe coughing, and will heal in a week or two after you stop coughing.
thanks
I fell down the stairs I hurt my left side trying to stop I hurt only on left side on back and left side of ribs when I exhale or inhale it hurts and because I am in pain I feel nausious I can move but I dont move to fast I turned the other day and heard a pop  after that I couldnt breathe then I layed still and moved slowly to do my house work through the rest of the day I can move around but slowly  what should I do? Will it heal it self  ?