Urology Expert Forum
15mm Stone - Treatment (Shockwave - Ureteroscopy)

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Posted By Rick on February 17, 1999 at 19:08:14:

About 3yrs ago, I learned that I had a 15mm stone in the left Kidney.  My Urologist didnt recommend shockwave treatment because it wasnt causing me much pain at the time.  I started experiencing some pain, a few months back, small parts of the stone were breaking off.  I discussed this with my doctor and he said I could live with the pain, but I would need to have some sort of treatment at some point.
I am 34yrs old and I decided I should go ahead and do something about this stone.  My Urologist recommended ESWL (Shockwave) treatment.  I had the treatment on a Friday and did manage to pass a portion of the stone, by Sunday, I was in severe pain and my ureter had about 2 inches of gravel in it, which wasnt appearing to pass very easily.  I was admitted to the Hospital and my doctor recommend that he perform Ureterscopy (term??), but he removed the gravel with a scope, through the urethra.  He also inserted a Stint, to help me pass any remaining gravel.
The surgery seems to have gone well, as I dont really have any pain.  X-Rays show that about 98% of the stone are gone with a little gravel remaining.
Keep in mind that I had ESWL on Friday and Ureterscopy/Stint on Monday, the surgeries are very close to one another.  I am a healthy person, other than the stones.  I am experiencing a bloat feeling in the bladder and feel like I need to urinate about every 15mins, and I still have blood in the urine after 2 days.  
My questions are:
Is the use of a Stint common for Ureterscopy patients?
My doctor has requested that we keep the Stint in for 4 weeks.  Is this uncommon?
What can I expect after the Stint is removed?
How long should I expect to see blood in my urine? Its been 2 days and I am still seeing blood in my urine.
Is there anything I can do about the bloat feeling?
Also, I am drinking mostly water, is it okay to mix lemon juice with water during this recovery period?
I know I have a lot of questions, but your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Rick