Urology Expert Forum
2 year old with blood in his urine
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

2 year old with blood in his urine

Posted by kelley jones on May 21, 1999 at 08:55:30
MY SON HAS HAD BLOOD IN DIAPER OFF AND ON FOR A FEW MONTHS NOW. THE
PEDIATRICIAN SENT HIM FOR UA FOUND BLOOD NO INFECTION. WE WENT TO UROLOGIST HE DID VCUG NORMAL RESULTS HE HAD KIDNEY ULTRASOUND THAT WAS NORMAL ALSO. THEY CHECKED HIS CALCIUM LEVEL EVERYTHING WAS FINE. MY QUESTION IS IF EVERYTHING IS NORMAL WHY DO I STILL SEE BLOOD IN HIS DIAPER? i notice it in the morning usually. if anyone knows of an explanation i would be very greatful

Posted by HFHS M.D.-BE on June 04, 1999 at 13:12:08

============================================
Dear Kelley,
There are many causes of blood in urine in children. These include infection/urinary reflux, tumors, cystic diseases of the kidney, high blood calcium level, kidney stones, sickle cell disease or trait in African/American patients,  and a multitude of medical diseases and syndromes such as IgA nephropathy, lupus, hemolytic-uremic syndrome, Alport's syndrome to name a few.  Sometimes the cause could be as simple irritation and bleeding of the tip of penis or foreskin. Ultrasound and VCUG and calcium level rule out some of these such as cystic kidney, infection and urinary reflux and high calcium level. An evaluation by a nephrologist would help determine the other possible causes. You need to follow closely with your urologist and primary doctor.
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-BE
*keyword: hematuria in children