Urology Community
Bend in penis after Hernia surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Bend in penis after Hernia surgery

three years ago I under went open surgery to have a mesh fitted over and inguinal hernia which I had for about 9 months previous. At he time of repair the hernia was quite large however the surgeon did not expect any poor outcomes.

I was only supposed to be in surgery for 45mins or so but the operation lasted roughly 1h45mins I'm told and I was in recovery for another 1h30mins after this which was much longer than expected (I was never told why only everything went as planned). I was suppose to get home that evening but ended up staying in hospital for three day, when leaving I was still in terrible pain. The scar I how have is about 5 inches long and ends about 2cm above the base of my penis on my left side extending towards my hip in a diagonal direction

About six months after my operation I noticed a very slight bend in my penis to the left and this seemed to be getting progressively worse over the following 6-9 months. After about a year an a half after my operation I finally got the courage to go to see my GP who referred me to a urologist. The urologist checked for pyronies disease (I didn't have any hard plaques) and noted how close the the scar was to the base off penis saying that it was cut closer than he had seen before. He referred me onto another surgeon so another 4 months went by and I finally had an appointment, the surgeon was fairly young about 27-28 not much older than me and started to tell me the way to fix the problem was to operate on te other side of my penis on my abdomen and pull it from that side to try to straighten it up. I quickly said no that this didn't seem logical as the problem existed on my left side and I thought maybe scar tissue had attached to the side of the penile muscle causing it to anchor at one side causing the bend or scar tissue is not allowing the skin to stretch enough on my left side causing it to pull from the left causing the bend? At this point he called in the consultant, he had a look and said he wasn't sure but if i was still able to have an erection with out considerable pain and have intercourse to leave it alone as further surgery may cause more damage than it's worth.

It's now 3 years on, I haven't went back but the situation still seems to be worsening, maybe it's just me thinking it's getting worse but there is a considerable bend even when I'm not aroused. It seems to be 'stitched' in at the left side even when flaccid compared to the right side and the the tip my penis has also turned I.e. the the head of my penis not only bends to the left but has rotated to the right.

If anyone has any advise or knowledge on how to proceed with my problem I would be very greatful as its constantly playing on my mind.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The scar tissue when it heals usually contracts and this could be causing the pull on the skin. As your doctor suggested, if there are no detectable abnormalities, if there is no blockage to flow of urine or ejaculation, it is best left alone. Mild asymmetry may not pose problems.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.