Urology Expert Forum
Bladder Polyp Removal

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Bladder Polyp Removal

I have to have a polyp removed from my bladder and I will be awake for the procedure, I'm not quite sure how its done and if being awake is my only option, do they go through the vagina stright to the bladder  or through the urethra, Pleas explain it to me, thank You, linda j
Please note that I am not a urologist, and do not have personal experience in removing bladder polyps.

Typically a bladder polyp would be removed during a procedure known as a cystoscopy.  Here is a quote from a patient information handout discussing the procedure:
"The doctor will gently insert the tip of the cystoscope into your urethra and slowly glide it up into the bladder. Relaxing your pelvic muscles will help make this part of the test easier. A sterile liquid (water or saline) will flow through the cystoscope to slowly fill your bladder and stretch it so that the doctor has a better view of the bladder wall.

As your bladder reaches capacity, you will feel some discomfort and the urge to urinate. You will be able to empty your bladder as soon as the examination is over.

The time from insertion of the cystoscope to removal may be only a few minutes . . . In most cases, the entire examination, including preparation, will take about 15 to 20 minutes."

Here is the full article which discusses the procedure:
http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/cystoscopy/index.htm

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.