Urology Community
CATHETER ALTERNATIVES

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

CATHETER ALTERNATIVES

My father-in-law is very healthy and is only 57 yrs old and has recently developed recurrent UTI's.  And just yesterday had a cystoscopy and was told that his bladder has stretched is not ever emptying his bladder completely and that he would have to catheterize himself 4 times a day to empty it.  Is there another option for him?  Other than a permant catheter.  Someone told me that they heard there was a surgery available to men with this issue that is similiar to the one that women get with stress urinary incontinence where they create a sling/hammock type of structure to hold the bladder up in the body.  Is there such a thing for men?  And what is it called?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
i AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE SURGERY.  HOWEVER MY BLADDER SHUT
DOWN, ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO, AND i HAD TO SELF CATH EVERY TWO HOURS,
I HAVE IC, SO IT WAS PAINFUL TO GO LONGER THEN THAT.

MY URO PUT ME ON FLOMAX, IT ACTUALLY DESIGNED FOR MEN BUT HE HAS FOUND IT VERY EFFECTIVE FOR WOMEN LIKE ME.  IT HAS HELPED BUT I CAN NOT GO OFF THIS MED.  ON IT HOWEVER, I DO NOT NEED TO SELF CATH AT ALL!

IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE IF YOUR FATHER IN LAW DOES NOT HAVE INSURANCE,
BUT THERE ARE PATIENTS ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS TOO.  I COULD NOT QUALIFY FOR THIS SINCE IT IS FDA APPROVED FOR WOMEN.  HOWEVER I AM GETTING 4X CHEAPER FROM CANADA, WITHOUT WHICH I COULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION.

I HOPE THEY FIND SOMETHING TO HELP HIM AS WELL!
SHELLY
DIRECTOR OF MOARK IC
SUPPORT GROUP FOR IC PATIENTS IN MISSOURI AND ARKANSAS