Urology Community
Calcium Oxalate Crystals in Urine
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Calcium Oxalate Crystals in Urine

my son is about 6 months old.... at the time of birth he was diagnosed with an UTI after treatment i was asked to have Urine DR every month.... first 3 months reports were fine but now on the 4th report he seems to have calcium oxalate crystals in his urine....... i was advised to keep him hydrated as much as possible.... later after 1 week his DR Report seems to get OK with no crystals but now when i had his 6th DR he seems to have Calcium Oxalate Crystals again... so may i know what could be the possible reasons for this ??? and what should i do now ... as i said he is only 6 months old...
Tags: crystal
Related Discussions
Hi,

I suggest that you follow your physician's advice.Calcium oxalate crystals in the urine usually suggest an underlying urinary tract stone. Stones in the urinary tract of children are not common. It can be due to diet, hereditary factors, medications and underlying structural problems involving the urinary tract. Your child is only 6 months old. Was a urine culture done to determine if an underlying infection is present?

You may ask your physician if a baseline ultrasound scan of the abdomen is needed just to visualize the kidneys, ureters and bladder to rule out underlying involvement of these structures. Hydration is usually necessary. Give your child plenty of water to drink and observe the character and appearance of the urine. If the urine is dark, this may mean that the amount of fluid intake may not be enough. Also, note the number of diaper changes per day and the weight of the diapers. Weigh the dry diapers and subtract the weight from the weight of wet diapers and list down the results everyday. You may discuss this with your child's physician as this may aid in analyzing your child's hydration status. List down all fluid intake including milk, soup etc. per day and compare this with urine output status. Change wet diapers immediately.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Urology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...