Urology Expert Forum
Elevated PSA but no cancer

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Elevated PSA but no cancer

I wrote to you before and now have recently had a biopsy of my prostate which came bag normal, i.e. no cancer. In fact, the Urologist told me the prostate looked extremely healthy and was not even significantly enlarged. After 2 years of having a PSA of 1+-, it went inexplicably to a 6 and then on re-test to 4.8 but my "free PSA" was only 13% which is why he did the biopsy. The Urologist told me that he would like to recheck the PSA again in 6 months but did not expect me to have any problems and told me I might now merely have a new higher baseline.
He did not suggest having me take any medications for infection or anything of that sort.
My question is, does this happen very often, in other words a low baseline becoming elevated in a relatively short time with a healty prostate? I have no family history of prostate problems and am not overweight and am a 53 yr. old caucasion. Also, would "over the counter" products which supposedly lower PSA levels be of any benefit to me under these circumstances?
There are many other conditions other than cancer that can cause an elevation of the PSA.  The major causes are as follows:
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
Prostate cancer
Prostatic inflammation
Perineal trauma

Thus, it can certainly happen where any type of irritation to the prostate (i.e. inflammation or prostatic trauma) can transiently raise the PSA in a healthy prostate.  On the other hand, there are also instances where the prostatic biopsy would miss potential cancer, and if your urologist has a strong suspicion for cancer, repeat biopsies should be considered.

There are no consensus studies regarding supplements in the lowering of PSA, and thus I cannot recommend any of the OTC products.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.