Urology Expert Forum
Elevated PSA but no cancer
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Elevated PSA but no cancer

I wrote to you before and now have recently had a biopsy of my prostate which came bag normal, i.e. no cancer. In fact, the Urologist told me the prostate looked extremely healthy and was not even significantly enlarged. After 2 years of having a PSA of 1+-, it went inexplicably to a 6 and then on re-test to 4.8 but my "free PSA" was only 13% which is why he did the biopsy. The Urologist told me that he would like to recheck the PSA again in 6 months but did not expect me to have any problems and told me I might now merely have a new higher baseline.
He did not suggest having me take any medications for infection or anything of that sort.
My question is, does this happen very often, in other words a low baseline becoming elevated in a relatively short time with a healty prostate? I have no family history of prostate problems and am not overweight and am a 53 yr. old caucasion. Also, would "over the counter" products which supposedly lower PSA levels be of any benefit to me under these circumstances?