Epididymal cyst treatment
I am 35 years old, very athletic, and in excellent health and conditioning. About a year ago, I injured one testicle in a ~40mph dirt bike crash. As a result, I had a sore testicle that swelled slightly. It has ranged between mildly and moderatly uncomfortable since. The testicle has maintained a consistent size approximately 1.25 to 1.5 times the size of the "normal" testicle.

The urologist found some additional tissue from a (previously surgically repaired) hernia and pushed that back in. It was near the affected testicle. Not sure if this matters or not, but thought I’d throw it in. A full exam (and I do mean shockingly full) resulted in no other abnormalities.

Today I got an ultrasound. The tech described what she found at the head of the epididymis as a cyst. However, I have some more concerns and am a bit nervous. My next urologist visit isn’t until Thursday, so I thought I would post my questions.

After doing a bit of research, all epididymis cysts I have seen pictures and descriptions of are spherical. The one on my ultrasound was mostly flat and elongated. Not spherical at all. Also, most cysts are described as asymptomatic. However, I have been experiencing discomfort and swelling for quite some time. The tech asked me to "bear down" to see the change in blood vessel size. Unfortunately, there was no change "after" the cyst. When previously checking blood flow to the testicle, she mentioned that it had very good blood flow.

So, based on that crazy-long post, here is my actual question: What are the odds that this really is an epididymis cyst and not something else? I'm still worried that there might be something more serious going on.

An ultrasound may readily detect the presence of the cyst and its location. This has been done in your case.The epididymis is a long coiled flattened tube near the testicles.A cyst in the area may not necessarily be spherical in shape. A cyst is a fluid filled lesion and may follow the contour of the tissue or organ involved.

A complete physical examination may also help. Management of this cyst depends on its size and on whether or not it is symptomatic.Large cysts may present with pain or fullness as they impinge on other nearby structures. So there is really no hard and fast rule when it comes to progression and character of a disease condition.

An epididymal cyst may be managed through surgical removal or cyst aspiration.