Urology Community
Interpretation of results *scrotal / testicular ultrasound* + future pr...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Interpretation of results *scrotal / testicular ultrasound* + future precautions

Hello, this past week I discovered a hard lump about the size of a BB on my left testicle. I have no noticeable pain in my groin area. Filled with anxiety, I contacted my doctor's office and he had me go directly to have a scrotal/testicular ultrasound. Below are the outlined results along with my doctor's email response simply stating that the bump is a cyst.

Taking the information below into consideration, I am simply looking for other input from a doctor here on the forum as to any further interpretation of these results:

- What they mean?
- What should I now do about any of the findings?
- Is there any future concern necessary?
- How should I monitor this issue with the cyst and do I need to take any immediate action?
- Etc.

Thank you for any insight and please see my results below.

Dr.'s email response:

"Your ultrasound shows a simple cyst. There was no testicular mass, no evidence of malignancy. Followup with me for evaluation if you're concerned about your symptoms"

-----

PROCEDURE: US SCROTUM AND TESTICLES, NIVL DUPLEX ABD PELVIS A V
IN OUT FLOW LIMITED

TECHNIQUE: Transverse and sagittal high resolution sonograms of
the testicles and scrotal contents with duplex Doppler
interrogation.

FINDINGS:  

- The right testicle measures 4.5 x 3.2 x 3.2 cm.
- The left testicle measures 5.3 x 2 x 3.2 cm.
- The right epididymis measures 10 x 9 mm. A 2 mm right epididymal head cyst is seen.
- The left epididymis measures 14 x 11 mm. A 5 mm left epididymal head cyst is seen.
- The bilateral testicles are normal in size and homogeneous without evidence of mass.
- Several tiny calcifications are seen at the inferior right testicle which do not meet criteria for testicular microlithiasis.
- Symmetric flow to both testicles is seen via color Doppler and spectral waveform analysis.
- Large right-sided hydrocele and small left-sided hydrocele are seen.
- Left-sided varicocele is also noted.
- *A 6 x 3 x 6 mm simple cyst is seen within the scrotal skin overlying the left testicle in the area of palpable
abnormality.

Impression:

IMPRESSION:  
1. 6 mm simple cyst within the scrotal skin overlying the left
testicle in the area of palpable abnormality.
2. No intratesticular masses.
3. Bilateral epididymal head cysts.
4. Left-sided varicocele.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Cysts anywhere in the body are a collection of fluid filled sacs. And unless they are infected or causing compressive symptoms, they may not any immediate therapy. However, a follow up may help to assess any changes in size.

As for the left sided varicocele, varicose veins of the testis are referred to as a varicocele. It is the dilatation of the pampiniform venous plexus and the internal spermatic vein. It is known to cause poor sperm production and hence infertility. Based on the size it is classified as small, moderate and large. It is diagnosed with a clinical examination and confirmed by a Doppler ultrasonography. As of now there is no medical therapy for varicose it is corrected surgically. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.