Urology Expert Forum
Itching/Redness of Penis
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Itching/Redness of Penis

I have been having problem starting three months ago when I had unprotected sex. I am having issue of general itching/redness of penis. In addition there is small (~2mm) red mark (not raised, no fluid, gradually seems to be fading) on foreskin ~1" below head of penis.

Initially I self-treated with miconazole which seemed to make problem worse.

Went to see GP who tested for HIV and syphilis (which came back negative). I have not had raised or fluid filled sores and redness has been pretty much continuous (some days are better than others). On second trip to GP, he suggested I try clotrimazole which seemed to work for about a week until I accidentally put on miconazole instead which seems to have caused another outbreak.

What I found strange is that I have used miconazole in past (I have had yeast infections before...I am uncircumcised) with no negative reactions. Wondering if there something my GP and I are missing. Could this be some kind of STD like Clamydia (chlamydia)? Confused as to what could be cause...regardless the months of redness/itching have taken mental toll at this point. My GP seemed pretty convince this was yeast infection... which is why he did not order Clamydia (chlamydia) or

Related Discussions
I would be tested for various STDs, such as gonorrhea and chlamydia.  This can be done with a urethral swab or urine tests.    A urinalysis can look for any UTIs.

The prostate can be examined via a digital exam or a transrectal ultrasound.

If infection has been ruled out, you can consider dermatitis - which would be treated with a steroid cream.  

Another dermatological opinion can be considered if the symptoms continue.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
TMJ/TMJ The Connection Between Teet...
Jan 27 by Hamidreza Nassery , DMD, FICOI, FAGDBlank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank