Urology Expert Forum
I've experienced frequent urination after my abortion
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

I've experienced frequent urination after my abortion

Ever since my abortion when I was around 14 years old, I urinate frequently day and night.  I know it's not incontinence because I don't have a problem with bladder control.  Another important fact is that  I do not drink water at all.  The most I'll drink for a day is 1 full glass of water.  But I do drink some milk.  Although I don't drink that much fluids, I urinate at least once every hour during the day (much more when I drink more fluids), 3-5 times during my 10-hr-sleep, both with adequate amount of urine every time.  I don't think there is an infection because I don't experience any pain, blood, burning sensation, or itching.  In addition, it takes a while for my urine to come out.  I often have to sit on the toilet for over 10 seconds until I start urinating.  However, there is no pain involved.
======================================================================
[Editor's Note: Though this question is not on a topic that we usually address in this forum, one of our staff did provide an excellent answer and therefore it is being posted.]
Dear Winnie,
You may have a condition known as interstitial cystitis (IC).  This is a chronic inflammation of the bladder wall and unfortunately there is not a known cure.  It differs from common cystitis in that the later is caused by a bacterial infection, which can be treated by antibiotic therapy.  It is also important to note that IC is not a psychosomatic disorder nor is it caused by stress.
IC can affect people of any age, race or sex.  It is, however, most commonly found in women.  A 1987 epidemiological study estimated that 450,000 people may be affected by the disease.  The symptoms include:
-Frequency-Day and/or night urination (up to 60 times a day in severe cases.)  In early or very mild cases, frequency is sometimes the only symptom.
-Urgency-The sensation of having to urinate immediately may also be accompanied by pain, pressure or spasms.
-Pain-Can be in the abdominal, urethral, or vaginal area.  Pain is also frequently associated with sexual intercourse.
-Other Disorders-Sometimes patients also report experiencing symptoms such as muscle and joint pain, migraines, allergic reactions, colon and stomach problems as well as the more common symptoms of IC described above.
Diagnosis is very difficult and must follow several steps:
1)Urine cultures must be negative
2) Rule out other associated disease, bladder cancer, stone disease, and anatomic abnormalities
3)cystoscopy-routine cystoscopy in the clinic may not be sufficient to make a diagnosis of IC. It is usually necessary to distend the bladder under general anesthesia in order to see pinpoint hemorrhages on the bladder wall a hallmark of this disease.  It may even be necessary for a biopsy to be taken at that time as well.
4)Diagnostic radiology-IVP, KUB
Treatments
1)Bladder distention
2)Oral medication-anti-inflammatory drugs, antispasmotics, antihistamines and muscle relaxants.
3)DMSO (Dimethlyl  Sulfoxide)-bladder instillation
4)Elmiron-(Sodium Pentosanpolysulfate)
5)Anti-depressants
6)Diet
7) TENS Unit
8) Silver Nitrate
9) Chlorpactin WCS-90
10) Self Help- biofeedback
11) Surgery
Recommendations:
I don