Urology Expert Forum
Kidney mass

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Kidney mass

I'm a 32 year old female - I recently went for a MRI with contrast for pain in my lower back (I had a laminectomy Feb '03).  The MRI found (as said in the report): "a 2.8 cm x 2.0 cm exophytic mass is noted arising from the upper pole of the right kidney.  This heterogeneous high signal on T2 and is not imaged on T1 sequences.  Further evaluation with ultrasound is advised. A renal cell carcinoma cannot be excluded."

My neurologist was extremely concerned because my last MRI with contrast (April 03) showed nothing on the kidney.  She ordered preliminary blood work but advised I see a specialist ASAP.  (whic I am presently trying to set up).  

I am also going for an ultrasound later today; however, I got an "unofficial" ultrasound over the weekend from my friend who has been doing this for ten years - She saw nothing!  How is this possible???  Is it possible the MRI made a mistake??  If the ultrasound today shows nothing also, what is the next step?  Will I have to remove this?  Is it possible that it's just cyst?  My general doctor says that something this size should show up in the ultrasound but also finds it difficult to imagine the MRI made a mistake because of the precise measurements taken.  

Could you shine some light on all this?  I'm hoping to get to a urologist this week - should finding the root of this be a rushed thing???  I recently got married and was planning to try and get pregnant after the new year - will the mass have to removed before I get pregnant?

Scared and confused,
EAIovine
Cannot say for sure without evaluating the studies.  

It may be possible that the mass can be seen via the MRI and not via the ultrasound.  Of note, is that the MRI was meant to evaluate the lower back, and not the kidney.

If there are conflicting results, you can consider a dedicated MRI or CT scan evaluating the kidney.  If these scans are negative, it is unlikely that a mass was present, and the previous MRI reading may have been an artifact.  

You can discuss these options with your personal physician or in conjunction with a urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
0