Urology Community
Klonopin and Urinary Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Klonopin and Urinary Problems

I've been on Klonopin (for RLS) for about 2 years. First 1/2 mg before bedtime and then 1 mg before bedtime for the last year.

Over the last month or so I've been having periods of frequent urination, difficulty urinating and lately somewhat painful urination, almost a burning sensation.

When I told a very smart retired doctor neighbor about this and mentioned I was on Klonopin, he said it was possible (he stressed only possible) that it could be a side effect of Klonopin, which can actually be a very dangerous drug.

I had always thought of it as a mild drug and then I read up on it!!! Man, I want off now.  I read all the problems of going cold turkey so I'm slowly tapering off (and understand the issues I might face).

Anyway, while reading about the side effects of Klonopin, under the "rare side effects" there is frequent, difficult and painful urination.

Like I said, I'm getting off Klonopin anyway, and will find ways to live with or deal with my RLS in other ways.  However, I'm wondering if the Klonopin might be causing my urination problems. (I am aware there are a myriad of other things that could cause it.)

So, my question is, does anyone have any first hand experience with this problem and Klonopin, or know anything about it?
Guess it's just me.  Or it's probably not the Klonopin.