Urology Expert Forum
Lost bladder sensation?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Lost bladder sensation?

Re: Lost bladder sensation?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Urology Forum ]

Posted by HFHS M.D.-MS on February 24, 1998 at 17:31:52:

In Reply to: Lost bladder sensation? posted by Lou on February 15, 1998 at 11:58:13:
  Hi,
  Just a quick question:
  What could be the cause of a loss of sensation in my bladder?  Off and on over the past year I have seemed to lose the feeling - only knowing to go to the bathroom when my kidneys(?) start to ache.  After a long period of this I went to the walk in clinic - no infection, no kidney stones - essentially ok - but still this back pain.  I seem to have a decrease in urination as well so I have increased my intake of water.
  Later on following this first initial "attack" of whatever I began having a whole slew of neurological symptoms - could this be related?
  Thanks in advance
=================================================================
Dear Lou,
Thanks for your short question.
When a urologist interviews patients with symptoms you describe, they ask about diabetes mellitus ( long-term), strokes, back injuries, bulging disc, sciatica, multiple sclerosis, congenital defects to the spine and cord, etc.  all which affect the nerves to the bladder.  I think I would see a neurologist first  for your neurological symptoms.  Ask them if they feel these symptoms are related  to your bladder after he/she  examines you. If so he /she may recommend you seeing a Urologist to help manage the bladder.  Nerves are  not like downed powerlines, the damage can be permanent if not repaired soon.   If your bladder stays stretched to long it will decompensate and not be able to empty.  Also not draining your bladder can be a set up for a urinary tract infection or possible kidney damage. Frequent urination is encouraged until you get this straightened out.
You are welcome to see one of our Neurologist or Urologist  by calling Henry Ford  Hospital at (1 800 653 6568).
This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.
Good Luck!
Sincerely:
HFHS M.D.- MS
* Keyword: Insensate Bladder