Urology Expert Forum
Mucus in urine?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Mucus in urine?

Hello. I'm a healthy, 32 year old woman. On two different occasions when urinating today, I noticed a fairly large (2 inch or so) strand of mucus in the toilet bowl. On the second occasion, I was concerned and did examine it, and it was clear-colored mucus.

I do think that I will be ovulating soon, so I'm wondering if this could be cervical mucus that came out when I pushed to urinate. Is that even possible? I didn't notice much, if any, mucus on the toilet paper, which is why I wasn't totally convinced it was cervical mucus.

I did some Googling and discovered that mucus in the urine can be a sign of cancer -- urachal cancer, among others -- so now I'm worried, even though it's probably nothing. Is there a way to tell whether this mucus was actually part of my urine, or whether it came from somewhere else (like my cervix)?

Thanks for any advice.

Cervical mucous is possible.

Obtaining a urinalysis can analyze the urine for any abnormality - looking for protein or glucose in the urine.

If there is evidence of blood, or suspicion of cancer, a cystoscopy can be considered.

If cervical discharge is present, you should be evaluated by a gynecologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, Mucus in urine was started.