Urology Expert Forum
Nodule on prostate
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Nodule on prostate

For several weeks I have been seeing a doctor because I had pain in my  right testical. The first visit the doctor said I had an enlarged prostate and some infection. I was given some antibotics. Several weeks later I went back to the doctor. I have had a sonagram and some bloodwork and now I'm scheduled for a psa test and the doctor said I have a nodule on my prostate. Can you tell me what this nodule might be. I am 49 years old. My dad had a cyst on his prostate which was removed.
Related Discussions
Dear James,
Next to skin cancer, prostate cancer is the leading cause of cancer in older men.  Men are screened for prostate cancer even without symptoms to try to find cancers at an early curable stage.  Screening involves checking a prostate specific antigen blood test (PSA).  PSA is not a perfect test, but in general the higher it is the more likely prostate cancer willbe found.  the other screening tool is a digital rectal examination.  The prostate gland can be felt in order to estimate size, shape, and consistency.  A classic hard discrete nodule on the prostate is suspicious for prostate cancer.
If either the rectal exam or PSA is abnormal, then a transrectal ultrasound with prostate needle biopsy should be performed.  This is a more definitive test and can still be performed in the office setting.  Apathologist can then make the determination of cancer or not.  Other nodular prostate problems include BPH, calcifications, cysts, prostatitis.

This information is provided for general medical information purposes only. Please consult  your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available through our department at the Henry Ford Hospital  and its suburban locations (I-800-653-6568).
Sincerely;
HFHS M.D.-CK
   * Keyword: prostate nodule
0 Comments
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
Continue discussion Blank