Urology Expert Forum
Post-op Hydroceles

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Post-op Hydroceles

Hi there!

My dad is 80 years old and had surgery to correct hydroceles a week before Easter. One side has returned to normal, but the other side is still about the size of a baseball and causing him pain. His doctor says it can take 6 months to return to normal, but my dad is concerned that it won't and that he'll have to have the surgery again. So my question to you is, with no change in 4 months, is it realistic to believe that everything will be back to normal in another 2 months?

Thank you.  

Recurrence with a hydrocele repair is an uncommon complication.  Studies suggest this occurs in 1-2 percent of cases.  

If the recurrent hydrocele is causing discomfort, it would be reasonable to inquire about the various forms of repair - either with a repeat surgery or aspiration with a sclerosing agent (to prevent reoccurence).  The type of repair should be discussed with your urologist.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
0