Urology Expert Forum
Raised area with black center

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Raised area with black center

I am a 55 year old male,faithfully married for 31 years,uncircumized. I have a pimple size (approx 2mm) raised (approx 1mm) painless bump on the bottom outside of my foreskin 1 1/2 inches from the tip of the penis.  The center of the "pimple" has a black area that looks like a blackhead. When I look at the black spot with a magnifying glass, it looks like a tiny round black mole. The area around the black spot is raised and looks like a small cyst. I have had this for at least 3 years with no change in size, color, etc. My wife is concerned it may be cancerous or a precancer. Any suggetions?
Dear Zeke,

When a man finds a lesion of any type on his penis, of course he is concerned. There are many different types of lesions with many causes, so I will not go into all of them here.  Some lesions are benign (non cancerous), some are malignant (cancerous), and others are pre-malignant, which means that, left untreated, they can become cancerous.  It is not entirely possible to tell you what you are dealing with from the information you provided.

You say that you have had this particular lesion/pimple for about three years with no change. You do not mention any other symptoms in relation to this lesion, so I am going to assume that you have none.  The fact that your lesion has remained unchanged is a good sign, making it less likely that you have a serious reason behind its appearance.  However, your wife is right to be concerned, because anytime a man finds a lump on or near his penis/testicles that is suspicious, he should consult his urologist for a full evaluation.  Taking a 'wait and see' attitude may be fine, but it may also be dangerous in the long run.  I would suggest that you see your urologist soon so that you may be certain what this lesion actually is, and discover the appropriate treatment needed,  if  any.

This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).

Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-BE
*keyword: penile lesion

1 Comment
0