Urology Expert Forum
Re: 4-year-old with frequent urination

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Re: 4-year-old with frequent urination

Posted By HFHS M.D.-MS on December 20, 1998 at 08:11:51:

In Reply to: 4-year-old with frequent urination posted by Jana on December 09, 1998 at 14:17:31:

Hi. I have a son who just turned four a month ago. He is a healthy, happy little boy. However, throughout the last four to six months, he has needed to urinate so frequently, that our friends and family have commented on it. In fact, his pre-school teacher called me at home a few weeks ago to tell me that he went "potty" eight times in about 1 1/2 hours.
Other than frequency, he seems to have no other symptoms. He says it does not hurt when he goes, he does not wet his bed, and his pediatrician did a urninalysis to check for sugar in his urine and for an infection. The urinalysis came back normal. Because the problem persisted, we brought him in again two weeks ago. They decided to do an x-ray of his abdomen, and they said it looked like he could be somewhat constipated. They advised us to give him a lot of fiber to help him empty his bowel. I guess the thought was that the bowel was pressing against his bladder. We did this, and he did have several large bowel movements, but there was no change in the problem. His pediatrician says it's probably just a benign problem that kids this age sometimes experience.
We try not to comment to our son on this frequency, so that it does not become an issue for him.
Any ideas of what we should be doing to help him? Is this just a benign problem, or should we encourage his doctor to further investigate?
Thank you in advance for you help!!!  :-)

=

Dear Jana
Thanks for your concerning question.
This is a very common problem in this age group and is usually a phase he will have to grow out of.  It sounds like  he has had an  appropriate evaluation  for the time being except for a physical exam and now he needs more time.  Also remember excessive fluids and caffeine will exacerbate the urinary  frequency.    
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians notes and lab test results that you  may be able to obtain. These will help us greatly.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.
Sincerely;
HFHS-M.D. MS
* Keyword: urinary frequency