Urology Community
Seeking answers for ongoing problems, lacking definitive diagnosis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Seeking answers for ongoing problems, lacking definitive diagnosis

Hi all,

I just joined the site out of desparation, as I have been going through a real roller-coaster ride of symptoms and tests since February of this year, and am seeking advice.

I will break down my symptoms into point form, to be as concise as possible - thank you in advance for reading!

Past symptoms
- Roughly 2 years ago, I developed burining in lower abdomen and pain when urinating. The lower right quadrant of my abdomen became swolen and painful, and the doctor suspected infection. Urinalysis, however, revealed no infection. Symptoms subsided within 2 weeks. 
- No further urinary issues persisted, but have suffered from frequent diarrhea  and bloating ever since.

My recent urinary symptoms began in late February: 
- woke up to find myself urinating, something I'd never done since childhood
- few days later, felt burning sensation in frontal abdomen, similar to bladder region
- pain progressed to lower back, accompanied by chills, frequent urination, feeling of fullness in bladder after voiding, night sweats and weight loss
-  went to urgent care clinic suspecting UTI, but urinalysis showed no infection. Initial diagnosis was urethral spasm, prescribed flo-max
- after a few days, symptoms persisted. My family doctor did a digital-rectal exam and diagnosed prostate inflamation (inflammation). Urinalysis negative. Prescribed cipro for two weeks
- one week into treatment, discomfort subsided by urination urgency persisted. By the end of two-week regimen of Cipro, discomfort had returned, including in prostate. Weight stabilized.
- Further two week regimen was prescribed, along with abdominal and prostate ultrasound. 
- Abdominal ultrasound revealed no abnormalities or signs of stones, apart from right kidney being slightly larger than left. Prostate ultrasound revealed no abnormalities apart from enlargement. Urinalysis negative.
- Symptoms persisted, referred to urologist who suggested either prostatitis or small kidney stone undetected by ultrasound. Prescribed Cipro slow release for 30 days, during which time prostate discomfort improved, but abdominal pain intensified in lower right quadrant. Urinary frequency and urgency improved slighly, but developed ache in urethra that radiated into groin and genital region, down right leg. Urinalysis negative.
- After measuring flow rate, cystoscopt of urethra, prostate and bladder performed, revealing no abnormalities
-   Recently began cycle of 1-2 days of diarrhea, followed by 1-2 days of constipation. 
- Weight loss also resumed, dropping from 217 lbs to 212 lbs within 1.5 weeks
- Discussed with doctor possibility of Crohn's disease, as my mom's aunt as well as a cousin on her side both have it, and a cousin on my dad's side has IBS.
- Doctor felt it could be plausible, as inflamation (inflammation) of colon could interfere with prostate and cause secondary urinary symptoms
- Just today, I developed sudden, severe lower back pain for no apparent reason, and although pain is constant, it intensifies and then subsides slightly.

In a nutshell, I've had a rough year so far, and wondered if anyone here might be able to shed some light on what I might be going through, or questions I should be asking. Right now, my two guesses are either kidney stones or Crohn's disease, but wanted some professional opinions on the matter. 

Any advice you can give me is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you very much for taking the time to read my whole post.
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include GI/ GU infections/ inflammations, neuro-muscular causes, hormonal/ endocrine imbalances, growths/ masses, spinal causes/ referred pain from other regions etc. I would suggest consulting an internist initially followed by a gastroenterologist and a urologist for a detailed evaluation. After a cause is identified, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Urology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949