Urology Expert Forum
Sore Penis

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Sore Penis

I was wondering if you might be able to help me out, I am a 37 year old male. My problem started out about a year and a half ago with a slight pain down my lower left side of my penis. Over a few months the pain got worse and had drooped into my left testicle, also my scrotum area aches for most of the day. I had gone to see a urologist and he diagnosed me with peyronies disease. He told me that I would have a sore penis for about 8 years than the pain would slowly go away. He also told me to take Ibuprofen and Vitamin E daily. He advised me to stay sexually active to keep blood flow through my penis. I do not have a sex partner at this time in my life so I masturbate very gently every few days. Over the past year I am noticing pain also developing on my right side as well and a small bump swells up on my lower right side of my penis after ejaculation when my penis goes soft. this small bump is always soft and goes away after about ten minutes. I do not have a curved penis or any hard scar tissue that would lead me to believe I have Peyronies disease. I do remember having some intense masturbation sessions before this problem had occurred and believe that I damaged my penis. If I did damage my penis would it heal if I do not masturbate for a long time, maybe masturbation is causing strain on it and it will not heal, this is what I think. I tried to not masturbate for a few weeks to see if it would get better but this is hard to do because my penis craves to be masturbated. I guess its like telling a chain smoker not to smoke. My uroligist tells me to stay sexually active so gentle masturbation is okay according to him. I do not know what to think anymore, this problem is very frustrating for me, does it sound like Peyronies disease to you? I have another appointment with a different urologist but it is many months away. Your comments and advise would be greatly appreciated Thank You.
Peyronie's disease is certainly a possibility - without seeing the lesion, I cannot be sure.  Depending on where the plaque is, the penis does not necessarily have to bend.  

Other causes would be infection, however without discharge or pain on urination, this would be less likely.  

In terms of treatment, suggestions such as vitamin E and continued sexual activity is normally recommended.  If there continues to be symptoms, then treatments such as surgery, injection of various medications or radiation therapy can all be considered.  

Another diagnostic option would be an ultrasound to evaluate for any masses or problems with blood flow.

These options can all be discussed with a second opinion.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.