Urology Community
Ureter obstruction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Ureter obstruction

I had a procedure two days ago where the Doctor inserted a camera in my Urethra, then left Ureter to my left kidney.  He found an obstruction (scar tissue?) at the top of the Ureter.  I will not see him for over a week and I am very concerned.   He talked to me before the procedure and said he would find one of two things:  scar tissue or a tumor.  If it was a tumor, he would have to remove my left kidney.  I am thankful and blessed that it is some type of blockage and not a tumor.  I now have a stint between my kidney and bladder.  I am concerned as to whether to get a second opinion as to what surgery is going to be done.

He had told me a few weeks ago, I think, that he could not perform either procedure with arthroscopic surgery.  He said it was because I had pancreatic surgery and there would be too much scar tissue.  He said he would have to perform the surgery through my back.  This really scares me.  Is this the only way to correct the Ureter blockage problem?  I think he said he would cut out the bad part of the tube and repair it.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.  
John
    How are you?. Injury or damage to the urethra can heal with scar tissue that may cause a stricture. A stricture occurs when a part of the urethra become narrowed. Any section of the urethra may be affected. Reduced urinary stream, dribbling of urine, frequency, urgency are the common symptoms.

Treatment is usually advised to improve the flow rate of urine, ease symptoms and to prevent possible complications. The one advised by your specialist will depend on factors such as the site and length of your stricture, and also your age and general wellbeing. In your case i think it would have been endoscopic surgery and not arthroscopic. Scopic means direct visualization of an organ through a camera fitted to the tube, that is introduced to that particular part of the body.

Usually the kidney and ureter problems are treated endoscopically these days by introducing the tube through the back, as kidneys are located at the back and it is easy to acess. And it is a safe proceedure with 2-3 stitches. Recovery is also faster.

The common methods of treating this condition are dilatation of ureter, urethrotomy, permanent ureteral stents ,open surgery and endoscopic surgery for removal of a part of the ureter where the scar is located.
Best.