Urology Community
Varicocele question ,surgery or not?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Varicocele question ,surgery or not?

i went to a urologist yesterday and after the doctor listened to my problem and spending literally about 5 seconds examining me he said that i have varicocele.

i have had little pain on and off the past 8 months or so, and thats about when i started to work out. and every since i had a long drive (8 hours) a week ago it has been noticeably hurting alot. but when i wear boxer briefs, the pain is very litle to none

now what surprised me is right afterwards the doctor examined me he said, " so im going to make an incision on you down here...itll be about 15-30min..." he said i need surgery because i will become infertile and my testicle is going to shrink, so i need to get an ultrasound rightaway. he kinda laughed when i looked surprised and i asked so im going to be asleep right!? and hes like dot worry it wont hurt

now the thing is i dont want surgery unless if its necessary obviously, and especially when i have heard of an alternative  that would not require anything more than a 1 day recovery time.
what i am having concerns  is that the doctor just seems like he wants to do surgery because he can and has a reason. he didnt offer any advice, alternatives or anything. so i dont know if i should trust him or not.

any advice appreciated thanks