Urology Expert Forum
Vericose vein in penis

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Vericose vein in penis

Dear Sir,
    I seem to have a vericose vein on my penis.  It is right in the middle of it.  It was small and circular when It first appeared at the age of 14.  Now I am 21 and it is a little bit bigger and round.  It has also extened somewhat towards the tip. It seems to be the largest vein that can be seen on the penis: the one that runs down the top of the penis.  From the vericose bulge,which is at the center of the penis, there is one vein extending down and to the left towards the base of the penis.  This vein is thick as if it is in erection even when my penis isn't erect.  So it looks very ugly sticking above the skin.  
       The ugliness isn't the main problem though.  The problem is that there is some pain in my penis which was hardly noticeable before.  Recently, I masturbated and the pain increased much more as if the increased blood flow through the vein was causing the discomfort.
       I wonder if my problem will increase much more in the future, If surgery can remove the vericose vein and if circulation would be compromised if surgery did remove the vein. I am concerned because it seems as if the vessel is important for the circulation of blood from that  area.  I know basic physiology and I have searched to the internet to figure out the situation but I don't know how circulation in the penis works.  So is the circulation problem an easy one to solve medically if surgery was done or should I worry about this.

Dear John,
Prominent veins along the penile shaft are no different than other superficial veins in the body. These veins can clot (thrombose) and become inflamed and painful. I would try an anti-inflammatory medication such as Advil, Aleve, Motrin to help with your pain.
We don