Urology Community
Why doesn't my bladder infection go away?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I went to a doctor in March because of frequent urination. The doctor found a bladder infection and gave me antibiotics. I take them and I feel completely fine for a few weeks, then symptoms come back, but this time a lot of pain and pressure. Then the doctor gives me another antibiotic and again I feel perfectly fine while I'm taking the antibiotic, I just finished taking it and two days later all my symptoms came back, now I just started another medication. After about five days i feel a little better again. What is wrong with me?
I had a catscan done and they didnt find anything but cyst on my right ovary, and the doctor said not to worry about it because it will probably go away in about 3 months and thats not the 'cause. They also found red blood cells in my urine but no infection. I am 25 yrs old and i am not sexually active.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
What you need is a urine culture and sensitivity test done. Next time you have this problem, please go to a laboratory and give your urine for culture and sensitivity in a sterile bottle. This will tell you what organism is causing the infection and what antibiotic will kill it permanently. Please do not take any antibiotic without this test because if the organism is not sensitive to the antibiotic, it will only sit quietly for some time and then flare up again.
The most common cause of blood in urine is UTI. The next possible diagnosis is stone. The stone can be anywhere in the urinary system from kidney to urethra. Bladder infections and cysts too can cause similar symptoms. If you are expecting your period and that is the time there is blood in urine, chances of endometriosis cannot be ruled out. Your urologist will run a couple of tests including urine examination with culture sensitivity, a CT/ultrasound of abdomen to rule out stones and other causes.
Please discuss this with your doctor. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!