can bladder stones move to kidneys?
i was diagnosed with bladder stones and sent home from hospital with a bowl to sieve my urine thru to collect them as they were passed.firstly there was quite a bit of blood as i passed them is that normal? and secondly i still have pain in my kidneys i had tests and they came back negative for stones on my kidneys they said it could just be an infection and ive been on antibiotics(which i have now completed the course) so a week after i passed the last stones now the pain is sometimes really really bad i was wondering if because i spend a long time upside down because of my job whether one of the stones could have travelled up to my kidney. and be stuck there?

Passing blood in urine along with passing a stone is considered normal for the condition. This is because some of the stones have jagged edges and end up damaging the mucosa of the bladder and urethra as they pass through.

Usually, bladder stones do not pass back into the kidney. This is because the bladder lies below the kidney in the normal anatomical position and the ureters have a different muscle tone that will try to stop any stones trying to go back to the kidney. However, since you said that you spend most of your time upside down, it is possible that some infection or a small stone could travel up from the bladder and get stuck in the ureter.

You should have your urine tested again to check whether the infection has subsided and whether there is any blood in the urine now. This will help in identifying the cause of the problem. If you still have an infection, have a culture sensitivity done to find out which antibiotic the bacteria is sensitive to and complete the course properly.

Ensure that you keep your fluid intake over 2000 ml per day, add citrus fruits and juices to your diet, avoid alcohol, caffeine, and pepper, and try to pass urine every 2 hours or so.

Do keep us posted on any further doubts in this regard.