Urology Community
cortical kidney cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

cortical kidney cysts

Hi all,

Please help me with this :
  My mom undergoing kidney stone treatment for last 2.5 years with Homeopathy diagnosis. She is going for ultrasound every 3-4 months but the treatment was not of very use. Recently she got Ultrasound of whole abdomen done and was noticed that Liver, Pancreas, Gall Bladder, Spleen, Retroperiitoneum, Urinary Bladder are all in normal size and functioning well but in Kidneys, though normal in size, irregular cortical margins with cortical cyst. With this, Right kidney has tjhis cyst of 16.3 mm. with focal wall calcification in uppar zone  and that of 5.1 mm. size in mid-upper zone. And in Left Kidney the cyct of size 15.0 mm in upper zone  and 13.6 mm with focal wall calcification in mid zone.
      Kindly help me understanding what threat to health does this pose and how serious is it?

Mukesh
Did her doctor indicate whether the cyst was 'simple' or 'complex'?

Ask him where on the Bosniak-Chart her cyst falls. If there is a calcification present, then it's at minumum a Bosniak-2, but ask the doctor just to be sure.

Depending on whether or not it's simple or complex, renal cysts CAN be treated (ie: removed). The cysts you describe are for sure large enough to operate on and remove, but if they are not impeding renal function and not causing her any pain, the Urologist just might leave them alone and continue to monitor them.

I've had multiple cysts removed laparoscopically with a procedure called a "renal cyst decortication". Basically, they go in and slice off the top of the cyst. Then, they drain the fluid. Then, they cauterize (burn) the top of it so it doesn't reform another cyst. Fairly straightforward and minimally invasive. MUCH more desirable to open-surgery, and easier to recover from. 2-3 days and she'll be on her feet.

Good luck to her (and you)..

LMNO