Urology Community
detrusor sphincter dyssynergia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

detrusor sphincter dyssynergia

Hello, i just need a second opinion about my urodynamic test results.
Uroflowmetry shows obstructive pattern and incomplete bladder emptying.
cystometry : the urethra function during filling was normal, and the compliance was high (82,20cc/cm.
Pressure uroflowmetry: the detrusor activity during emptying sowed to be hypoactive and high pressure. and the urethra activity was abnormal ( detrusor-sphincter dyssynergia).
EMG showed normal sphincter electrical activity and detrusor-sphincter dyssynergia.

After seeing this results my urologist  said all these was due to my urethra being too small ( despite saying it was fine in previous consult) and proceeded to make an urethral dilatation,  he also prescribe doxazin and mestinon.

I have been reading that detrusor-sphincter dyssynergia is often the first sign of some neurological problems, my doctor never mentioned this. should i have been referred to a neurologist?

Hi I was diagnosed with the same condition in 1995 after having had surgery to remove an obstruction in the bladder neck. I had a TURP and resection of the bladdernec.
After a urodynamics test in 1996, I was diagnosed as having a neurogenic bladder. This means that I have no control to relax the sphincter to control the flow of urine. I now use intermittant catherization for this.

In 1998 I was found to have a heriditary neuropathy.
It is quite possible that you might have a neurological problem and it would not hurt to question your doctor about this.

All the best,

Ron