Urology Expert Forum
epididymal cyst

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

epididymal cyst

I am a 23 year old male and I have been having testiculat pain for about 6 months now. Recently I went to the Urologist and he told me I had an epididymal cyst.  I had an ultrasound done about a year ago due to a recurrent varicocele(which I had surgery on about 4 years ago) and I had an epididymal cyst then.  When I went to the urologist this time(about 2 weeks ago)he told me that the same cyst might have gotten larger and that I should not worry about the cyst.  He said to take a warm bath and to take Motrin when there is pain.  My questions are:
do these cyst get larger and larger(if so at what rate)?  Can they ever go away(without surgery)?  Is there a connection with pain during sex due to the cyst?  Can this pain be possibly due to the varicocele?  Did my doctor give me good advice or should I seek more medical attention?  The urologist made it pretty clear that surgery should be avoided because the pain after surgery could still be there due to the surgery itself.  Also, I have read on the internet that you could drain liquid from the cyst to ease the pain.  Is there a possible chance of me developing testicular cancer due to this problem? I know you have not examined me but if you could be as thourough and informative as possible, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your time,
Roney
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Epididymal cysts are typically painless and harmless.  To my knowledge, there is not an association with testicular cancer.  It is possible that the trauma from sex may exacerbate the pain.  

As for confusion with a varicocele, this is unlikely - normally they can be differentiated from a varicocele on ultrasound.  

Sometimes, epididymal cysts can go away on their own.  However, if they continue to become uncomfortable, they can be surgically removed or drained.

As for your urologist's advice, it is pretty much the standard treatment for epididymal cysts.  Surgery is normally the last resort.  If the cyst does not go away on its own, or with Motrin, then surgery may then be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
A related discussion, bilaterl epididymal cysts was started.