Urology Expert Forum
hydrocele aspiration

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

hydrocele aspiration

I have posted the question regarding my problem before. However I still have more concerns. I have a hydrocele of the left scrotum. It was aspirated twice already. Sclerotherapy was performed as well. Second procedure was done one week ago. As of today my hydrocele is still there. It is smaller but I think it is getting larger. I feel a little pain, very small plus it is a little tender to touch. I know you said that the surgery needs to be conceded if hydrocele is coming back. But…

1)Can the surgery be performed too close to the sclerotherapy after the sclerosing agent was introduced? Could it produce unwanted difficulties during the surgery? Also could you explain how the sclerotherapy works?
2)Could the hydrocele be back after sclerotherapy and how long does it take to come back. Can it be bigger than original? How many times this procedure could be performed.  
3)Could my fertility be somehow jeopardized?
4)Are the any alternative treatments that I could go through like acupuncture or homeopathic remedies?
Thank you again. Vlad.
To answer your questions:
1) Sclerotherapy involves injection of the lesion with a sclerosing material, leading to shrinkage of the hydrocele and prevention of reaccumulation.  Depending on the size and procedure, it may make subsequent surgery more difficult or complicated.

2) Yes, a hydrocele can return after sclerotherapy.  The time to return can vary, and may be bigger than the original.  Normally, if it returns, other therapeutic modalities should be tried.

3) Presence of a hydrocele can affect fertility.  Treating the lesion would help, and I am not aware of infertility being an actual complication of the treatment.

4) I am not aware of specific alternative therapies that are effective for hydroceles.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
1 Comment
A related discussion, Sclerotherapy Spermotocele was started.