Urology Expert Forum
negative ultrasound and CT scan

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

negative ultrasound and CT scan

Over a week ago I went to the doctor with left back/kidney pain and cramplike pain between my hip and groin.
There was blood in the urine and negative for infection. The doctor said I prob had a kidney stone and to wait it out.

(I had a kidney stone 10 years ago but that was super intense pain I went to the ER and they removed the stone the next day)

5 days after the pain started I had an untrasound that came back negative and  8 days post initial pain I had a CT scan which showed no stone and was normal.

I am still getting the same stabing/cramping pain in the groin area, some of it very intense but NOTHING like I had 10 years ago. The pain (like I had been slugged in the back) is gone. My doctor said the system may be irriated and to wait it out but she didn't sound very confident.

Is this a typical clinical course for a small stone or is there something else it could be? I am not running a fever and all tests have come back negative for infection.

I'm just not sure why the CT and ultrasound came back negative.

THank you.
A small stone is possible, however with a negative ultrasound and CT scan, that would be less likely.  The CT scan is a pretty sensitive test for kidney stones.

If the pain continues, a contrast CT can be considered to look for evidence of a hernia.  If you are male, sometimes prostate or scrotal problems can radiate to the groin area.

If the tests continue to be negative, you can consider musculoskeletal causes that can lead to the back pain.  A back MRI can be of use if this is suspected.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_