Urology Expert Forum
red blotches

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

red blotches
Hi I'm a 29 y/o male.  I am not circumsized and as long as I can remember I have gotten red spots and blotches on my penis.  It occurs on the head of my penis.  There are usually, but not always, corresponding spots under the foreskin that match up when I pull up the foreskin.  I usually see a relation to urine getting on the penis head and the spots occurring but not always.  The spots usually go away/fade away within 12-24 hours.  They are not raised, puffy, painful, itchy or contain any puss they are simply smooth spots/blotches.  I never paid much attention to it but it doesn't seem like a two week period goes by that they don't occur.  I am very alert to pulling back the foreskin and cleaning all areas.  I haven't seen a dr about it because it has never been an issue.  I am posting this question to see if I should get it checked out and if this is something common among other men who are not circumsized.
Thank you.

One possibility may be balanitis.  This is inflammation on the head of the penis that is associated in those who are uncircumcized.  Treatment normally consists of good hygeine habits (which a urologist or your personal physician can show you).  

Treatment may include topical antibacterial creams or topical antifungal creams (if there is a fungal component).

More information can be found here:
http://www.stdservices.on.net/std/balanitis/facts.htm

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0