Vitamin D dosages
I have autoimmune thyroid issues, and my endocrine doctor checked my vitamin D levels and they were at 12.  My question is that I see people who's levels were higher and their doctors put them on 10,000 IU's, but I was only told to take 1,000 IU's.  I don't understand why such a huge difference in dosages.  It did help raise my level at 1,000, but I can't remember to what level.  Does anyone know why some give only 1,000 and others 10,000?  Seems like such a huge difference to me.
That is a huge difference, and 10,000 IUs seems like a great way to poison yourself if you're not careful (vitamin D is fat soluble and builds up over time).  My level was 18 in January, and is now 64.  I just recently stopped taking 1000 IUs 2x a day, which seems like a safer route.
That does seem like a big difference.  I have read that vitamin D supplementation should be between 2,000iu and 8,000iu.  I am not sure how accurate this information is and I would suggest calling your doctors office and verifying the dosage you specifically should take.  
Often, when someone's vitamin D level is very low, doctors will prescribe up to 50,000 IU weekly.  This is only a temporary script and levels are checked at regular intervals to make sure they aren't going too high.

The 10,000 IU/day was most likely only a few days/week and not for an extended time frame.

While severely deficient patients may need megadoses, most of us are good with 2000 IU/day.
It depends on how frequently you are taking dosage. My levels are like 10.38 my doctor adviced me to take 60,000 UI once in a week. I think you are taking it daily basis.
Ahh, ok.  I just saw people throwing the 10,000 IU number around and assumed it was daily.  haha!  Wheew, that makes a big difference.  I take 1,000 daily.  Mine was pretty low at one point, so I guess that's why.  It's still on the low side, but not horrible.  Thanks for the clarification, everyone!  That threw me for a loop for a bit. ;)
I am checked every 6 mos for Vitamin D levels via two different types of blood tests and for me my level is between 27-32 ... that is on 50,000 iu's / week and never higher than 32.  But I feel well at 32 and <25 I am symtpomatic.

I agree with all the posts above.  It builds up over time.  Be careful AND be monitored by a doctor very closely.

C~