Aa
A
A
Close
910435 tn?1296752210
Vitamin D dosages
I have autoimmune thyroid issues, and my endocrine doctor checked my vitamin D levels and they were at 12.  My question is that I see people who's levels were higher and their doctors put them on 10,000 IU's, but I was only told to take 1,000 IU's.  I don't understand why such a huge difference in dosages.  It did help raise my level at 1,000, but I can't remember to what level.  Does anyone know why some give only 1,000 and others 10,000?  Seems like such a huge difference to me.
Cancel
6 Answers
Page 1 of 1
That is a huge difference, and 10,000 IUs seems like a great way to poison yourself if you're not careful (vitamin D is fat soluble and builds up over time).  My level was 18 in January, and is now 64.  I just recently stopped taking 1000 IUs 2x a day, which seems like a safer route.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
That does seem like a big difference.  I have read that vitamin D supplementation should be between 2,000iu and 8,000iu.  I am not sure how accurate this information is and I would suggest calling your doctors office and verifying the dosage you specifically should take.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
649848 tn?1474485941
Often, when someone's vitamin D level is very low, doctors will prescribe up to 50,000 IU weekly.  This is only a temporary script and levels are checked at regular intervals to make sure they aren't going too high.

The 10,000 IU/day was most likely only a few days/week and not for an extended time frame.

While severely deficient patients may need megadoses, most of us are good with 2000 IU/day.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
It depends on how frequently you are taking dosage. My levels are like 10.38 my doctor adviced me to take 60,000 UI once in a week. I think you are taking it daily basis.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
910435 tn?1296752210
Ahh, ok.  I just saw people throwing the 10,000 IU number around and assumed it was daily.  haha!  Wheew, that makes a big difference.  I take 1,000 daily.  Mine was pretty low at one point, so I guess that's why.  It's still on the low side, but not horrible.  Thanks for the clarification, everyone!  That threw me for a loop for a bit. ;)
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
168348 tn?1379360675
I am checked every 6 mos for Vitamin D levels via two different types of blood tests and for me my level is between 27-32 ... that is on 50,000 iu's / week and never higher than 32.  But I feel well at 32 and <25 I am symtpomatic.

I agree with all the posts above.  It builds up over time.  Be careful AND be monitored by a doctor very closely.

C~
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Vitamin D Community Resources