Vitamins & Supplements Community
Magnesium

Vitamins are substances that your body needs to grow and develop normally; if you have low levels of certain vitamins, you may develop a deficiency disease. Supplements can also be important to provide your body with extra nutrients depending on the activities you do. Discuss topics including vitamin deficiency, food to counter vitamin deficiency, sufficient vitamin levels, and supplements.

Magnesium

My pain is so excrutiating ... BOTH inner thighs in the middle of the night ... I jump out of bed. My doctor recommended magnesium and it works WONDERS! I would try taking a couple of magnesium vitamin pills before going to bed. I also take a potassium vitamin plus eat bananas. When I do this on a regular basis, I don't have the cramps. But if I neglect this for a few weeks, my magnesium and potassium reserves run low and they start again.

I also have something called cramps911 (I am now using the CVS generic) which is a homeopathic pill which helps subside the cramping within a few minutes, otherwise they can last over 15-20 minutes. It is easier to just make sure I am getting enough magnesium and potassium since I drink a lot of water and can dilute my reserves.

This discussion is related to Severe Thigh Cramps which originated on the Ovarian Cancer Community
Magnesium is pretty amazing, my mother-in-law has this issue too with her knee and it always stops when she starts taking a supplement again.
may I ask if there are any side effects as I tried magnesium once and didnt feel good , but maybe I will try it again ..does it help with sleep ?
I took some magnesium and vit D and it seems to really help blood flow and I feel warmth all over my body- was having numbness, pain
I heard it can help sleep and asthma
does mag really relax the smooth muscles in your lungs and help asthma?  
is it safe at high doses or toxic?
I took some vit D and magnesium and it opened my lungs up a little and the wheezing is less worse now
Margypops sorry for the delayed response, if you take it at night you won't feel nauseated that seems to help.  I am not sure so perhaps you can advise I thought Magnesium was fat soluble and not water soluble --- would be interested to see if this helps you breath in the long run keep us posted
ill13632
I find it helps in other areas, too .... like keeping regular.

C~
lol ChitChatNine, very good point! :)